Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Choosing newts dilemma

ntny

Reaction score
Hi guys

i need your advice.
i wasn't able to find any other newts apart from these below.

1) Cynops orientalis
2) Pachytriton labiatus
3) Paramesotriton fuzhongensis or hongkongensis? is either one of them.
4) Triturus sp? crested newt
5) Ambystoma mexicanum

my tank setup is a 1.5ft 10gallon tank.
water cooled with a chiller to range 22-24c degrees celeius
tank is keep clean and areated with a small internal 200L/hr 5watt filter with spray bar.
filter media is sponge, seachem matrix and carbon.
deco is bare bottom tank with driftwood for land and plastic plants for hiding.

can you advice which of the above newts can live safely in my setup above?

thanks

ntny

Reaction score
Re: Choosing newts delima...

hi jake

thanks for advice.
ya i read up the caresheets and they all seems to prefer lower temps.
Pachytriton labiatus is confirm out as they like 18c and below
Ambystoma mexicanum is also out as they like 22c and below
how about Cynops orientalis and Paramesotriton hongkongensis? which one is more likelly to do OK
in my setup.
i am not too sure about Triturus sp? crested newt, i read they seems can take up to 25c?

thanks

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score

Most Triturus species are known for not being healthy at higher temps, I am not sure about H.orientalis, the majority (if not almost all) specimens on the market are WC and must be kept at cooler temperatures for them to cope with the stress and maybe trauma. Have you heard of Tylotriton Verrucosus? They thrive at these temps and look very nice.

ntny

Reaction score

hi jake

yes i heard about Tylotriton Verrucosus. but i cant find them here lolx.
ya Cynops orientalis mostly needs lower temp. i read not more than 23c...
i read the url below suggest they maybe able to cope with slightly higher temps

Google Translate
Attitude:
The adult newts of this kind can be kept fully aquatic in a well durchkrauteten aquarium. For the red color of the bellies, it is important enough carotene-containing food such as daphnia and gammarus has to offer. However, bloodworms, tubifex, white worms, earthworms, houseflies, etc. are gladly taken.
If the water is purified through a aquarium pump, this should be arranged so that hardly any water movement is generated.
With two to three years first mating activities are observed.
Temperatures around 22 ° C are optimal in the summer. Short term C are easily tolerated to 26 °. A winter rest is not necessary. Lowering the water temperature to about 10-15 ° C are sufficient.
The lighting should be adapted to the natural light / dark rhythm.

how about Paramesotriton hongkongensis? can they cope with 22-24c?

i read on url below
Google Translate

Habitat / ecology:
P. hongkongensis is a flow of water inhabitants of the mountains of the coastal region at altitudes of 300 to 450 m. The habitat streams are tropical warm (17-26 ° C) and usually have only low flow. The animals are likely to remove only a little from the living waters and live mainly aquatil. Again and again aggressive acts between individual specimens are observed in the terrarium, suggesting a territorial lifestyle. The species has rarely been studied ecologically.

i am not too sure how accurate the info on 2 url above are....?

thanks

evut

Reaction score
What are the temperatures like where you live? I'm in England and even here it can sometimes be too warm for newts. Unless you have reliable air conditioning or a way to cool the tank, I wouldn't recommend any species which are not specifically ok with higher temperatures. Cooling a tank is either hard work or expensive, depending on your approach. The species which cope with higher temperatures better are Tylototriton verrucosus which jAfFa CaKe already mentioned, or Cynops ensicauda and possibly also Hypselotriton (formerly Cynops) cyanurus.
Make sure you think this through well before you acquire any animals - I can't stress enough that keeping a tank cool in hot weather is difficult.
In the meantime, have a look at articles and caresheets here: Caudata Culture Home Page

ntny

Reaction score
hi eva

the temp here is very hot ambient air temp is 32 degrees C.
water temp normally is around 30-29 degrees C.

ya you are right. i shouldn't get those newts which i am not able to care for properly. luckly i havent got any yet. i do have a chiller which can cool down to 22 degrees C but the problem is heavy water condensation on the tanks once temp hit below 24 degrees C. so i am looking for those newts which can tolerate the range 22-24 degrees C.

but the problem is Tylototriton verrucosus, Cynops ensicauda and Hypselotriton cyanurus are not commonly found here. so i need some time to find them.

i am particular interested in Paramesotriton hongkongensis. it seems like they can tolerate a little higher temps 22-26c , than other Paramesotriton.

btw is Paramesotriton as very aggressive like Paddletails? do they need under water caves like Paddletails? do they also need a small land space?

thanks

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
With Paramesotriton, some are more aggressive then others. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to find CB Paramesotriton. I once got a couple of Chineses, one did within a week but the other remained healthy. So it's really a hit and miss situation.

ntny

Reaction score
hi guys

may i know if paddletails need a dry land area like most other newts? i read that they are fully aquatic.
i do know they are territorial and likes lots of caves and plants, they also like faster water current than most other newts.

thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1