Choosing ornaments: tiger salamander tank setup

Harly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi friends!
I'm new, so this may be a dumb question... I'm setting up a tiger salamander tank and wanting to add large, smooth, river rocks. How selective should I be when choosing rocks in terms of safety? Are any old rocks off Amazon safe or are there pH/toxin/whatever precautions I should be aware of, and if so, is there a way to prepare them & make them safe, like soaking? I've had an axolotl for a while and learned a lot about what is and isn't safe through past mistakes, so I'd like to take all precautions this time around haha.
Thanks

I don't know if you will find this helpful, but here is a link that includes rocks that are safe in an aquatic application (I believe they will also be safe in a terrestrial set up).

Axolotl Sanctuary Scroll about a third of the way down the page and you'll see the rock info.

I personally have not used rocks in with my terrestrial caudates - I prefer cork bark because it is light weight and, though I don't think it likely, I worry that salamander burrowing could make a surface rock unstable and then fall on the sal. But I am sure others have used rocks in their salamander set ups with no ill effects. As you have pointed out, I would recommend only using smooth rocks to protect delicate skin.

If you have not already seen it, here is the CC care sheet on Ambystoma mavortium/ Ambystoma tigrinum.

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

Good luck!

HJ

HI! Sorry I'm a little late on this thread, but I will chime in anyway :) I'm the same as jewett, I have not used rocks in my setup because one of my Tiger Salamanders is a very persistent digger. I mean REALLY persistent. He would most definitely get himself in a pickle with rocks no matter where I positioned them. Plus, depending on your tank size, and how many you use, might be a hassle during tank cleaning. But that being said, I've seen nice setups with smooth rock/ stones. Seems to work for some, looking forward to what works for you. :)

I used fake rocks (Ones that didn't have sharp edges) and fake plants for the tiger I had

Thank you for the suggestions! As it stands, I have the rocks (ended up going with craft river rocks from Michael's at the suggestion of the website provided) around my water dish as a kind of ramp. They seem to like it!

Attachments

• IMG_3297.jpg
    IMG_3297.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 525
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back