Chytrid Fungus research articles

J

joan

For all you 'experts' out there, I'm looking for some research articles on chytrid and the spread through the amphibian population. Specifically, I'd like some that give an idea of how chytrid gets to an area (humans, I know, but I can't just 'say that' in a scholastic paper), the effects it has on native populations (all amphibs), and has chytrid been seen in naturally-occuring populations of gymnophiona?

E

edward

Chytrid has not to my knowledge been documented in native caecilian populations probably due to how infrequently that the caecilians are studied in the wild. Chytrid has been documented in captive caecilian populations in Europe.

See http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol10no12/03-0804.htm
It also includes a good bibliography of relevent articles.

Ed

J

joan

You guys are good at this.

I'm writing a 'literary review' paper for my herpetology class. I need at least 3 good sources, and I figured something about chytrid would have plenty.

Thanks guys.

J

joan

Thank you, Paris. With this wealth of data, I'd better earn a 4.0 on this paper now.

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
I just saw that CNN plans to broadcast a special about this subject on Sunday, "Global..." something or other (didn't catch the program's name(.

E

edward

To continue with this thread

Cummer, Michelle R.; Green, D. Earl; O'Neill. Eric M.; 2005; Aquatic chytrid pathogen detected in terrestrial plethodontid salamander, Herpetological Review 36(3):248-249

Chytrid was found and identified in Plethodon nemexicanus a species endemic to the relatively dry slopes of Jemez Mountains, New Mexico.
The fungus caused the salamander to retain shed skin patches near the vent of the salamander.
The more important implication is that this is the first documentaton in a North American species that is totally terrestrial and may indicate that totally terrestrial species like terrestrial caecilians are more at risk. It also implies that chytrid can survive and be transmitted simply by contact with the soil.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on November 17, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Unlike
  • supermegaaxolotl123:
    how do i change my profile photo
    +1
    Unlike
  • Geomart317:
    Are they still available?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mother of Dragons:
    I have axolotls still available, to experienced homes, in the DMV area
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sharikaw1986:
    @Mother of Dragons, are you willing to ship to NC?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest Taro Tea has joined the room.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Um can some one help mee
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    I just got this new axolotl and I didn't cycle the water because the pet store guys said I didn't have to but now I know I have to
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
    Linkisnotzelda: Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people... +1