Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chytrid study

lexmiller

Reaction score
I am going into the field to do some herping in Novemember and would like to take some samples from the various herps I find. I know how to swab a herp for chytrid but I am not sure what to store the swabs in (fluid or dry). I was thinking of looking at the samples myself or sending them to the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology at Berkley.

What are your opinions on this?

Before we get into the nasty posts whole "contamination" or that I'm going to be "spreading" the Bd, let me assure you that I am taking all the safety precautions (gloves, bleach solutions, etc...). Let's get past that and just give me your examples of preserving samples and what not. Thanks.

I could do an internet search, but I value the opinions of the experts on this board much more than some random webber.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the museum is willing to examine them for you, I'd ask them for advice on sample storage.

Is it really possible to test for chytrid by visual means? I've always heard about it being tested by PCR. For that, you need to store the swabs in alcohol. If you don't have access to a laboratory, the best source of non-denatured ethyl alcohol is a product called Everclear (drinkable high-percentage ethanol).

daedae

Reaction score
For how long are you wanting to preserve the samples? According to the San Diego Zoo, and many other sources, freezing will do just fine. Amphibian Ark recommends storing in a 70% EtOH solution. When I have sent samples from when i kept dendros, I would send them in dry, and not during extreme weather highs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1