Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

color changes according to light

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
has anyone else had an axolotl that changes color according to the light in their environment? my gal usually looks like just a melanoid in the light, but if i leave her overhead light and room light off for awhile she looks very much like she's axanthic. her belly and sides become much lighter and are more of a purple, while her spots remain dark. i'm unsure if this is common or not, but thought it would be a good idea to ask if anyone has had similar experiences.
i'll post pictures soon :)

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
pictures as promised, first image is of kip's side after being in the dark for a few hours, the second is how she looks when her light has been on

Attachments

• IMG_20221119_220128090.jpg
    IMG_20221119_220128090.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20221104_152639551.jpg
    IMG_20221104_152639551.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 57

Dnmohr

Reaction score
Did something similar before. Was able to get them light to the point where it looks like a hypomel

Attachments

• 313281644_658043752620583_1445804518079465822_n.jpg
    313281644_658043752620583_1445804518079465822_n.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
I think it has to do maybe with activity or inactivity???
honestly, at this point i'n nearly positive it's the light.
when her overhead light and room light is on she appears melanoid, but when the room light is off and it's only her overhead light she gets a bit lighter. if shes left in the dark then she becomes very light. i don't think it's activity or blood flow, as i spend a good amount of time just watching her.

Lotl

Reaction score
Axolotls are quite receptive to light, but I don’t know for the one with dark coloration.
I proved several years ago that a leucistic axolotl raised outside would have a yellow darker coloration if exposed (possibly) to the sun.
Color changes may happen, I don’t know…

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Axolotls are quite receptive to light, but I don’t know for the one with dark coloration.
I proved several years ago that a leucistic axolotl raised outside would have a yellow darker coloration if exposed (possibly) to the sun.
Color changes may happen, I don’t know…
i find it very strange. it doesn't appear to be due to activity or blood flow, light seems to be the only factor

Lotl

Reaction score
You’re right. I don’t have any pictures anymore but every leucy axy I had raised outside turned out very yellowish. Even golden. I’ll try to post a picture of the one I have, born and raised outside. Very striking coloration. Is it a matter of UV light ?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
You’re right. I don’t have any pictures anymore but every leucy axy I had raised outside turned out very yellowish. Even golden. I’ll try to post a picture of the one I have, born and raised outside. Very striking coloration. Is it a matter of UV light ?
her light is just a basic overhead aquarium light, white and blue LEDS. i've heard of leucistics turning yellow due to an excess of a certain protein or chemical, i believe it started with a T. i can't remember exactly what it was, but i think it was a dietary thing. i'll look it up

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
i was wrong, it was riboflavins. post linked below

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
update on this;
purchased a blacklight flashlight on amazon and it arrives today. i will be shining it over kip to determine if her skull/brain glows, which is a surefire trait of an axanthic. excited to finally put the mystery to rest

wolfen

Reaction score
be very careful about using a blacklight, only use it for short periods of time as the UV light will kill beneficial bacteria in the tank.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
be very careful about using a blacklight, only use it for short periods of time as the UV light will kill beneficial bacteria in the tank.
duly noted- it's only a small flashlight so i'm not terribly worried about it

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
well, results are in.
kip's skull did not glow under blacklight, confirming that she is not axanthic.
she is het for axanthic though, so hopefully breeding her will produce a few.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!