Color changing female?

Dugnbeck

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rebecca
ezazuma2.jpg

She has always been a super dark GFP Wildtype. She is about 7 inches and has began to lighten up a lot on her lower sides and at the base of her gills. Appetite is normal, activity level is the same, no fuzzy or fungus appearance, no change in environment, water parameters good and stable for a long time, skin texture is consistent, no changes between light and dark areas. any ideas why she is changing color?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the first thing it struck me as was something similar to the white skin patches shown on the sick axolotl page:

white_skin.jpg

Would you mind posting more images? Are the other axolotls displaying any changes also?

ny5ebedu.jpg
vyzyvymu.jpg
u9azy3u2.jpg

It's photographing a bit whiter than it actually is but here are more pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The paling in the belly makes me think it's a pigment issue, but a tea bath would help eliminate other causes such as skin irritation.

I think time will tell - please keep us updated.

What is the temperature in the tank?

Does her belly get darker when she's excited (like during feeding time)?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back