Country
United States
So, I always thought there were a few different coloration specifics:
Melanoid (black)
Wild type (brown/green/spotted)
Golden (yellow)
Albino
Leucistic (yellow-ish white)

But apparently I'm misunderstanding something. Can someone clarify this for me? With helpful pictures? Thanks.

How can u tell the difference between white Melanie's and Leucistic

Melaniod, damn auto correct

Melanism means that there are no irrodophores which are shiny areas on an axolotl. Irrodophores are especially noticeable in the eyes. If you shine a light on an axolotls eyes and they have a shiny ring then it's a leucistic. If there is nothing shiny then it is a melanoid.
Hope this helps :D

Is this golden albino or axanthic?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 575
Coloration works like this:
You have your base color: dark [having melanophores] or albino [lacking melanophores].

Then you have genes that work to modify that base: melanoid, leucistic, axanthic, and now GFP.

Axolotls that we call 'leucistic' are not albino, so their base color is dark. The leucistic gene modifies the color. In this case, it stops the color cells from migrating off the neural crest, leading to a white animal with dark eyes and freckles (those are melanophores!). Without this leucistic gene, the animal would be a wildtype.

In albino axolotls, the leucistic gene does the same thing, only there are no melanophores (dark cells), so the base color is albino, and no color cells migrate off the neural crest. So this animal has red eyes, and is white. A white albino = leucistic albino, none of the cells migrate. If you have an albino axolotl that does not display the leucistic gene, it is a golden albino (all the color cells migrate off the neural crest).

Melanoid works the same way: the melanoid gene prevents the creation of iridophores (and greatly reduces xanthophores, yellow pigment cells). This is classically characterized by the lack of shiny eye ring and shiny spots on the gills and tail fin. Any base-color animal can be melanoid as well.

Axanthic isn't something we run across a lot. Non-albino axanthic axolotls tend to be less hardy, and often die within a few weeks of hatching. Albino axanthics tend to be a creamy white, with no yellow spotting that you sometimes see.

So, My leucistic does not have the shiny ring in its eyes, what does that mean? My wild type is like gold! its gills are very shiny and so are his eyes.

I see, cheers. The more I hear about these little beauty's the more remarkable I think they are

It's a melanoid leucistic.

Okay thats what i thought but i wasnt sure.
Thank you! :)
At first i thought my wild type had something wrong like ammonia burn or something till i realised he just has golden gills :) and skeleton feet! I dont know if they will keep changing but right now he has the cutest feet :p

I have several juveniles with colourings that I can't work out.

1. Yellow with iriophores, black eyes with gold ring - what is this called?
2. White with black eyes and freckles - Melanoid leucistic?
3. Pale, skin coloured base with also pinkish spots, dark eyes with no ring - what is this?

lady-rassilon-albums-lady-rassilon-axolotls-picture27595-20130124-0915021.jpg

Both your outer axies may be 'copper'; they're fairly common in Australia. I don't know the exact genetics behind copper axies, but they are a type of albino. Their eyes tend to be a dark red (sometimes almost black), rather than the light pink of 'normal' albinos.

Your middle guy is a melanoid leucistic.

Thanks Kaysie!
I have never noticed red in the dark eyes of the 'copper' ones, but I'll look for it.
The skin colouration of the one on the right has really got me confused. Where did that come from, (or any copper colouration) genetically speaking?
The parents were some combination of gold albino, white albino or wildtype. (i.e. the breeder had all of these but I don't remember which was the mother and father).

Oh, and I have one of these copper juveniles (about 10 cm) available to go to new home, in Melbourne, if anyone is interested.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back