Colour determination?

Lua

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone tell me the stage of development I will be able to determine the colour/gender of my baby axolotls? (currently little black c shapes tucked up in their eggs) Thank you :)

I'm no expert but I've heard a little on the subject..As far as I know, whilst still eggs, white ones are albino, and darker ones will have pigment. but in the last few days I think the golden albino's show a yellow tinge.. To be anymore sure than that I think you'll have to wait until they hatch.

Hope this helps. :)

Oh ta, suppose I'll just have to be patient! Although none are completely white, quite a few have a yellowy tinge so fingers crossed for some variety :) thanks!

In white eggs from an albino mother if they are going to have pigment of any kind they will start to show it a little before they hatch. Likewise in dark eggs from a non albino mother if they are going to albino or leucistic they will turn to white/yellow before they hatch.
It would be very unusual I imagine to only get one colour type from a batch of eggs.
I've only ever seen albino eggs develop but I can usually see pigment in the last 5 days before they hatch.

You won't be able to sex them with any real degree of certainty until they are about a year old.

well there's definitely no albinos in there..:( but hopefully its a good mix of wild type and leucistic,I have a soft spot for their pink gills! It so great, they're starting to give a little wiggle every twenty minutes or so.. at first I thought I was just seeing things :D

You might be suprised. My eggs came out darkfrom a dark mum, and i could littereally not tell their colours at all until they hatched and i had lots of albinos. They seemed almost black untill the day they hatched, and then a massive suprise, they somehow turned completley white overnight :D

what colour were the parents?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back