Question: Comet goldfish young in my tank, what to do?

lucyz83

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, i have an 11 month old axie living in a 2ft tank, to help the tank stay healthy i've put a live plant in that floats on the serface so toothless can't uproot it like i've heard axies tend to do with live plants that sit in the sand. The plant is known as a water hyacinth, we have it growing in our pond with around 40 comets, we started with around ten fish in the outdoor pond originally so all the others are due to them breeding, we haven't seen any young fish in over a year now so i assumed that they had stopped, or were just very good at eating the eggs due to their numbers. Silly me, because i have now discovered that the hyacinth plant i transfered from the pond and put in my axies tank was obviously full of, either hiding fish young, or eggs that i completely missed and have since hatched. they're tiny and don't bother my axie at all at the moment but i was wondering what you think i should do? there are roughly thirty tiny little fish in there.

I was thinking of either waiting for them to grow a little and attempt to catch them and release them back in the pond, or if you guys think it's okay to just leave them be and let toothless eat them when they're big enough? (i heard you can feed axies fish if they are bred by you, though please correct me if i'm wrong, as i don't want to risk harming toothless) or should i just try to get them out of there immediately because of possible harm to my axie?

I couldn't take a photo of them because my camera couldn't pick them up due to them being so tiny but i uploaded a photo from google that shows roughly what size they are at the moment.

Thanks very much for any help, i'm just unsure of what to do because i know having goldfish with axies is a big no no usually, so any advice is very much appreciated :)

Attachments

• LL.jpg
    LL.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,541
goldfish and other related carp species aren't really good because they contain an enzyme that breaks down vitamin B. An occasional fish wont harm but that many quickly growing babies almost guarantees that one will make it to a size it could do some damage to his gills. It'd be better to take them out now and not risk it.

Thank you very kindly for the quick response! I really appreciate it!
Will definately take them out in that case! Thanks :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back