Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Commercial Foods

DeCypher

Reaction score
What commercial foods would be good for red-spotted newts? I have already tried HBH and Reptomin food sticks...

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Most off the shelf products are not accepted by notos. They generally prefer live foods, chopped earthworms being superior. With a bit of work you may be able to get them eating frozen foods from a toothpick. If they are fully aquatic, they can be trained to free feed off frozen if you mix some in with their blackworms and earthworms slowly over time. I prefer Hikari brand frozen foods.

freves

Reaction score
I use Reptomin and OSI brand pellets as part of a varied diet for all of my caudates. I presoak the pellets and then offer them individually via forceps. Overall most all of my animals readily accept them however there are individual exceptions. For the record I do not keep notos however.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!