Constipated/impacted axolotl

Hi Paul,

The water conditioning salts are fine if you want to ensure hard water for your tank. Hard water is better for axolotls to protect their skin and against anaemia. I think the art is in balancing an appropriate concentration. Saturated solutions will obviously be extremely detrimental to the skin integrity. You want to ensure only very little amounts are added. The concept is the same much like salt baths for axies. You can't leave them in there for over 15 min because it would cause skin and gill damage.

Have you considered 'fishless' cycling? I have two links here that i think you should have a look through if you haven't yet.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml

When i first started keeping axies and fish, i used to add stress zyme (bottled bacteria). I know the products claim to accelerate the cycling process and help establish good bacteria colonies. The use of such products are controversial in the sense that there are both people who are supporting it and people who are against it.

People who are against it, in their experience, feel that the products are ineffective, a waste of money and adding to bioload. In my personal observation, my axolotls tend to go through a dramatic skin shedding phase whenever i added this product. For me, anything that is suggestive to cause an irritation (such as manifestation of overt skin shedding), i get a bad impression. Since then, i haven't used it. They work safely for my fish tank though.

For people supporting it, and a lot of experienced hobbyists and aquaculture vets included, they find the product useful and safe. Some also feel that these products would not be marketed otherwise if they failed experimental trials and guidelines. Also since there is such a big market for such products, some feel that it must be effective.

I think ultimately the decision is still yours to make through your personal experience and judgement. Bottom line is health and safety of axolotls isparamount. Even if the product works well in accelerating cycling, i would not personally not consider using them anymore if i find they cause adverse reaction in my axies.

Cheers.

Thanks again,

Yeah, I have considered fish-less cycling, but considering I haven't got my master test kit in yet, I'm kind of reluctant to try this yet.

Should I continue to add the dirty water into the tank as a substitute?

Hi Paul,

I guess without a kit, it does make things a tad risky. If between placing a goldfish in the tank or using old axie water, i would choose the latter.

Hope you get your kit soon.

Cheers.

Thanks again,

I have now aquired some frozen brine shrimp. I'm still waiting on the aquarium to get the kits in.
Is there much difference between the kits available or are they all pretty standard?
If they are all much of a muchness, I might go to a different aquarium and get one

Hi,

As long as its a colourimetric solution based type test kit, it would be fine. I use API but i think other brands will be fine as well.

Cheers.

Howdy,

Got the nitrite tested again. It is lower(1-2) but still high. I have order a test kit and am awaiting its arrival, so should be able to get the cycling sorted soon.

quick question:

It is now approaching 3 weeks that she has been in the fridge. How long is too long??? Should I be getting worried?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Do not worry about the axie being in the fridge. If anything, it is beneficial. There are people who keep axies in the vegetable compartment in the fridge as a permanent home. Some anecdotal evidence suggest that the cold temperature actually prolongs their lifespan. As long as you are diligent with your daily water changes and still continue to offer food, there is no harm in leaving your axie in the fridge for months on end.

Cheers.

Thanks mate,

you have really put my mind at ease!

Cheers

Paul

Please forgive my ignorance but why is putting an axie in a fridge so beneficial?

I find loads of threads here concerning ill axies, with the reccomendation that they be put in fridge, how does a fridge help them get better?

thanks.

Hi doktordoris,

Refrigerating an axolotl lowers its body temperature and thus slows its metabolism. This is beneficial in a variety of circumstances. The most common instance is when the axolotl has swallowed something it is having difficulty passing and becomes impacted. In this case, the axolotl will not feed - or any additional food will exacerbate the problem - and slowing its metabolism would mean that the axolotl can go much longer without food, so that it does not starve while trying to pass the obstruction.

Another instance where refrigeration is helpful is when battling fungus. Most (but not all) types of fungus thrive at warmer temperatures, so that the decreased temps help in killing the fungus.

Lastly, some people live in areas where summer temps get so high that refrigeration is the most convenient way of keeping the axolotl cool.

Hope this helps,

-Eva

Hi Doktordoris,

Have a read through this thead.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60728

The general concept of fridging is that the cold temperature inhibits the growth, proliferation and viability of most microorganisms. Cold temperatures has also been demonstrated to aid healing in axies by boosting their immune system, shunt blood and hence boost the function of vital organs as well as equillibrating the fluid dynamics within the axie's body (proportion of water in blood, tissues, cells and between cells).

Cheers.

wow, that is all jolly fascinating.

Thanks ever so much for the time it took you to inform me. I appreciate it very much.

cheerio chaps

Howdy all,

Just thought I'd update you all on my progress. After about 3 weeks of cycling and monitoring, the water finally seemed to get better last week. I ended up putting her back yesterday. Water parameters were:

pH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate- 5- 10
kH - 71.6
gH - 179

Going to test the water again tomorrow, just to be sure

She seems very happy and has been exploring her tank all day. She still seems a bit wonky on her feet, i'm not sure as to whether that is just because she was in the fridge for so long or whether she still has some gravel in her. I was amazed at how much she passed and about a week after I thought she had passed it all, another few appeared! Other than that, she seems really healthy.

Thank you all for your fantastic advice

Cheers

Paul

Hi, I have recently seen my axolotl start floating on it's side this afternoon. He is a baby so I am in the process of tubbing it. As soon as I seen him like this I immediately changed the water in the tub and got to doing research. I seen that there could only be three things, constipation, bad water quality in the tub, or air bubbles. I think he was constipated because I tried doing the fridge method that was recommended with these problems and he pooed a lot out after he was in there for a couple of minutes but still kept struggling to stay up.

His body was forcing him to float to the top against his will and this time he was going up on his back and floating. I let him stay in the fridge for about 11 hours and he seems to be doing good, he isn't floating anymore and is laying quiet still on the bottom of the tub, he wont move unless I shake the tub back and forth. I hope he will be alright, I just wanted to know who has any tip on this and will my axle be ok?? I am leaving him in the fridge for the night am see how he is in the morning, someone please let me know if I'm doing everything correctly

@Jevhaunnnn

You left your little guy in the fridge all night!? I don't think that's good at all! Like, maybe 10 minutes but all night is too terribly long! How is your axolotl? Please, any updates would be appreciated.

@Jevhaunnnn

You left your little guy in the fridge all night!? I don't think that's good at all! Like, maybe 10 minutes but all night is too terribly long! How is your axolotl? Please, any updates would be appreciated.
He is really good now, I had him in a fair plastic tub because he is a little small but I think that might have been the problem because the water get stale in the tub, so I put him in my 20 gal tank. I did research on fridging them and some people leave them in there for a week or two so one night wasn't bad for my axle. He was floating on his side and upside down and in 10 minutes he was still floating so I had to keep him in there longer, until he was better. He looks good now, I'm trying to get on a feeding time for him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back