containers for metamorphosis of sallies from larval to metamorph stage

changeling616

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wondered what others used when they have salamander larvae and want a place for them to come onto "ground" once the lungs are fully formed enough. I have used plastic storage containers (like the once from with the name brand Rubbermaid here in the USA) on a tilt, but even with I stick a piece of window screen to the bottom for grip, the salamanders sometimes seem to drown.

Hi,
I regularly visit my larvae.
When I see one showing the first signs of metamorphosis (color acquisition, gills reduction...), I transfer it in a little tank (1 or 2 liters, plastic storage containers are correct).
This little tank is filled with only 1 cm water max (to avoid drowning).
I incline a bit the container to create a little slope and I put a Java moss mass on the shallowest side, so that the metamorph can climb easily out of the water.
I put some dead oak leaves in the water too. They help the animal to keep its head out of water if it wants.
Usually no food with it : the salamander or newt which is in the process of metamorphosis undergo heavy jaws and hyobranchial remodellings and isn't able to eat until the metamorphosis is completed.

Sand, gravel, and river rocks worked out best for me. In a 10gal aquarium I built a slope leading up to a large "land" area using a combination of sand and gravel. I then covered the slope with 1" - 2" river rocks to prevent it from collapsing into the water.

I put too much water in it at first and ended up siphoning a bunch of it out, leaving a water depth of only 1.5" or so. I also placed several additional rocks on top of the land area and in the water to provide places for the larvae & salamanders to hide.

After a few days I also added some pillow moss from Exo Terra after rehydrating it in a bowl with treated water for about 30 min or so. Onto the land part, I mean.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you have to be VERY careful when cleaning or doing anything else inside the tank that you don't shift the rocks and inadvertently squish somebody.

Fascinating...definitely pays to plan ahead for the transition to land. Do fully aquatic species need a land-ramp or do they just stay in the water and breathe at the surface during this transition time?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back