Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cooler system idea for T.marmoratus terrarium.

grius

Reaction score
Hello! I will try to explain this as good as i can;) both terrarium and cooling system...

The terrarium wll be build in some material that get coold easy, so sheet metal would be good(or shall i use some other material you think?) and well insulate! The dimension is 100x50x50cm LxWxH.Now to my idea....The product that i will use is "/CoolWorks’ IceProbe Small Aquarium Chiller. I shall put together a box in sheet metal(100x20-30x10cm with net ceiling on the top, to let coold air escape. This box shall be easy to take out if necessary and will be placed alonge the long side in the terrarium. I belive that this shall cool down the entire tempreture in my terraria...

What do you guys think about this, would it work? I have spoken to a swedish guy how has taken home this pruduct for testing and with good results, but in akvaria however hehe, but think this will work to.
English is not my strong side, so i hope you understand my questions.

Here is the plan drawings of my project!

Attachments

• cooler.jpg
    cooler.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,451

grius

Reaction score
Just perfect, hate computers hehe,, i will try to get a picture with better quality, how i dont know:mad:

Regards/Tomas

snussmak

Reaction score
metal is probably a double edged sword, because it can conduct electricity and enrergy in large quantities. in other words, if it can conduct cold it can conduct warmth. plexiglass would in that case be better (smaller level of cunductivity).

best regards alexander

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What temperatures do you want to achieve with this construction? How cold will the air be? You will have to be sure that your newts do not get any freeze-bruises.

In my opinion most kinds of metal are rather critical in tanks with water or humidity for it may release some unhealthy ions.

grius

Reaction score
Answers

I take this quick now, because this is the secod time all that i write just disappeared wen posted.

I whant a temprature between 16-19 degree celcius constant, because i will use this terrarium all year round, and do not want have to be worried about spring and sommer days when the air in my house my be around 25degree. It shall only be water in the radiator box, and to hide it i use moss over the net, rest of the box will be cover by the substrate, and that way keep the bottom cool. The other area will be for bakgrounds or bark. I place the Iceprobe on the short side of the enclusure and drill a hole right through the wall into the box.
http://www.coolworksinc.com/iceprobe_aquarium_chiller.htm
"Snussmak"
I was thinking about that too, so decided me to use plexi glass instead.

Sorry if i dont use proper english, but just now i am very frustrated, and hope i want get this problem again.

Regards/Tomas

grius

Reaction score
Hello again.

I have thought out a better idea i belive. I will bye a costume made terraria/akvaria in glass insteed, and it will have dubbel glass on the back whit perhaps 10cm between so i can fill that part whit water. I will tell the builder to leave the topp so i can build it myselfe in plexi, one for the terraria and one for the water part, as i easy can drill holes in too place the iceprobe. Instead for 50cm high enclusure it will be 40cm, that would be enough as hight, and easier to keep the terrarium cool. I will place the ventilation high on both the shortsides att the enclosure to get good air
throughout.

All proposal and thoughts are welcomed!
Regards/Tomas

grius

Reaction score
This is my last question, but i would realy appreciate if any of you can help me whit both my ideas, it would be great to start this project before spring;)

I come across a thread were they speaked about some pruduct called /Coralife Aqualite Cooling Fan Kit. Can this be used in my terraria to cool down the air temperature you tink? then without the dubble backside of glass whit water.

Best regards/Tomas

grius

Reaction score
I come upp whit this thought to use both a fan cooler and complement whit a cold moister device, that is uset for terrariums/reptiles for example. Because the fan will dry out the air but presumably keep the enclosure cool, so why not use this moister device to get a good balance??
This may be a good solution, and it give presumably good results too the damp probleme.
Well its good to have several ideas hehe, but i belive that i have to find it out myself, and expriment to se if some of them work.

But you can tell me which metode you belive in of these three, that will be a good help on the way.

Link: http://www.jula.se/EsaImages/item/master/416008_d.jpg (electrical hydrostat whit adjust off the air moist between 40%-60%, and water tank for four liters. Can be apply too a rom of 50 sq.m.

Regard/Tomas

grius

Reaction score
Hello..
I just got my ciller system and the tank finished fore my marmoratus! I can get as low as 10 degrees in a room with 21 degrees(this shall realy work perfect in the hot summer)
I have build the ciller from a smaller frigde with help from a faan, some vent/pipe and som insulation.
Here are some pictures. The faan is placed inside the fridge an controled by a termostat with convert streering, so when i gets to hot i the tank the faan gets to work, and take cool air från the fridge in to the enclosure until the temp is good again.

Hope i have make a contribution with this post, and if som have used this metod please tell me.
Regards/Tomas

[[Edit: photo links removed.]]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grius, the website where you posted your links from (repti.net) is currently using photographs from Caudata.org in violation of copyright law. We don't like this site very much! I would strongly encourage you NOT to use that site.

I apologize to you for doing this, but I'm going to have to remove the links you posted because I don't want to send this website more viewers. Could I ask you to repost the photos directly on this forum?

grius

Reaction score
Grius, the website where you posted your links from (repti.net) is currently using photographs from Caudata.org in violation of copyright law. We don't like this site very much! I would strongly encourage you NOT to use that site.

I apologize to you for doing this, but I'm going to have to remove the links you posted because I don't want to send this website more viewers. Could I ask you to repost the photos directly on this forum?

Hello Jennewt, i totaly anderstand this and will do as you say right away!

The first photos is the beginning of the building and the last if the finished results.

Attachments

• DSCN4596.jpg
    DSCN4596.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,456
  • DSCN4597.jpg
    DSCN4597.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,408
  • DSCN4600.jpg
    DSCN4600.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,820
  • Photo0015.jpg
    Photo0015.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,303
  • Photo0016.jpg
    Photo0016.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 7,170
  • DSCN4672.jpg
    DSCN4672.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 9,628
  • DSCN4680.jpg
    DSCN4680.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 2,627
  • DSCN4671.jpg
    DSCN4671.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,631

grius

Reaction score
Here are some bad pictures on 4 of the marmoraus, two on the the first and two on the last picture.

/Tomas

Attachments

• Photo0027.jpg
    Photo0027.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 793
  • Photo0031.jpg
    Photo0031.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 800

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tomas, thank you for your understanding about the photo links, and thank you for reposting. I can look at your setup now!

I assume there is some method to prevent the animals from climbing into the tube (and into the fridge)? It's a nice looking setup and a creative chilling method! Please keep us posted this summer about how well it works!

grius

Reaction score
Tomas, thank you for your understanding about the photo links, and thank you for reposting. I can look at your setup now!

I assume there is some method to prevent the animals from climbing into the tube (and into the fridge)? It's a nice looking setup and a creative chilling method! Please keep us posted this summer about how well it works!

Yes i have ventilation net(hard wearing plastic) as cover the pipe holes, so there is no danger for the animals that way.
Yes this is a realy good metod, i got the idea from a site om the web when i was asking some questions.

Regard/Tomas

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!