Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Crawfish pot to catch the larvae?

D

david

A few years back I moved up to the Sonoma/Napa County area of Northern California, away from the hellhole desert wastelands of toad-friendly but entirely sans-salamander Southern California.
One of the first things I did for a kick was clean out a fellow co-worker's decorative fountain in his private pond in exchange for checking out some of his resident California Newts (got disgustingly mucky but it was worth it! They were fantastic to finally see in person, orange belly and all (I had only read about them as a kid, from my LA County desert hellhole concrete jungle of a bedroom)!
Anyway, the guy who introduced me to California Newts up close has told me that, in 12 years, he's only once seen a terrestrial Pacific Giant Sallie. However, he has a creek running through his property where he says there are no shortage of the larvae; moreover, when I started speculating how I might catch one, he threw out this idea: He has a crawfish trap, the kind crawfish can crawl in, but can't get out. I haven't seen it, but it sounds like a mini-lobster pot of some kind. Anyway, I am thinking of giving that a try in a few months when the rains start--baiting it up and setting it in the stream. I only hope I don't catch any crawdads (which are also present in the stream) in the cage along with the Sallie larvae--I wouldn't want the crawdads to attack them in the close confines, so I would have to check the trap often.
What do you guys think about that idea, for catching the larvae? Is it loony, or you think it might work? I guess I am already going under the assumption that using a net might be too difficult (are they fast swimmers? I have never seen them yet in person.)
(P.S. I suppose I better watch what I write on here or the Soup Nazi California regulators--which have already outlawed my beloved Axolotls--will come get me...well, I've got a fishing license, does that qualify, O Mighty Totalitarian Overlords?)

(Message edited by todas_abiyoyo on October 22, 2005)

(Message edited by todas_abiyoyo on October 22, 2005)

J

josh

sounds like it may work. i would however suggest just using a net. much less damage done to the larva and its much quicker. the larva wont have to sit in a trap. as for so cal being a desert hell hole void of salamanders, i bet to differ...lol. so cal is home to some of my absolute favorite salamanders. ENSATINAS!!!! there are ensatina e. klauberi (looks like a gila monster) and ensatina e. croceator ( looks like a yellow gila monster) lol. there are also MANY species of slender salamanders there as well as aniedes arboreus. i try to go to so cal as much as i can to see these wonderful creatures. where i live (arizona) is void of salamanders except for tigers which are dirt common. good luck up in sonoma county. theres some beautiful country up there

D

david

Hm. That's interesting. I grew up northern LA county (the "high desert"), lived there for 33 years, visited quite a few ponds over quite a few Springtimes, and while I found plenty of larvae of Pacific Tree Frogs, California Toads, and occasionally Western Spadefoots, I never once in my life saw hair nor hide of any non-jumping, tailed amphibians. How could I have missed them?

W

william

as far as i am aware none of those species need water to breed, so you won't find them wilst pond dipping

J

joan

Dicamptodon adults are VERY shy, and the larvae are stream dwelling. Be sure you know what your local/state laws are before attempting to 'trap' them. Some states have different licenses for trapping and for fishing, as well as different regulations.

D

david

William said: "as far as i am aware none of those species need water to breed, so you won't find them wilst pond dipping"

Which ones, William? The salamanders mentioned, or the frogs/toads mentioned? I can only speak for the 3 frog/toad species I mentioned, and tell you, they need water, all right. Although the Spadefoots morph out of the water a month or less! (They also gobble any and all other frog/toad larvae they can catch, because they are carnivorous and larger in the larval state than the others, though they stay smaller than the other 2 as adults...)

M

mark

Joan - "Be sure you know what your local/state laws are before attempting to 'trap' them. Some states have different licenses for trapping and for fishing, as well as different regulations."

While that is valuable advice, I find it rather hypocritical considering the following statement: "I had Dicamptodon copei I raised from hatchlings, and I'd bet money that these are not dicamps." From this thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/7/45112.html?1129311640.

To my knowledge D. copei is protected entirely throughout its range. You are right that people ought to know the regulations before collecting or keeping certain species in their state. However, perhaps you too should follow your own advice?

J

joan

I did not collect the copei. I received them as hatchlings from a person who bred them from captive bred adults.

Perhaps you should know all the facts before jumping to conclusions.

M

mark

Captive bred Dicamptodon?... I have serious doubts. Perhaps you could share with us who bred these Dicamps and how they did so multiple times. Regardless, illegal animals spawn illegal animals.

Joan - your attitude bears a strong resemblance to that of a former user of this forum, she was also from Michigan...

J

joan

Edit: Changed my mind. I have lost the need to validate myself to you. I only come here to further the hobby, not defend myself to people who feel from a few posts I have a bad attitude.

(Message edited by Joan on October 25, 2005)

M

mark

You state that you are here to further the hobby, so...please do. Why not share with us whoever it is that is apparently breeding D. copei and any information you have as to how they have accomplished this unheard of (at least until now) feat?

Also, I'm not sure what constitutes 'a few' posts, but I am basing my assessment of your attitude on the 954 posts you have made since you joined this forum in March.

J

jeff

Mark, don't try to be high and mighty with people, you only further hinder the real purpose of this site. And you are the only one who is trying to track people down for reasons that must be your own. Don't use "us" if "we" arn't bothering Joan.

N

nate

Alright, I'm going to close this thread before it gets any nastier than it has.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!