Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Crayola play sand!!!!!TIP!!!

Hellcat73

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a little secret in cheap substrate...its Crayola play sand! It comes in many nice colours,and its designed for kids so if they ingest it,its harmless! 15$ a bag..fills a 20 gal....easy! Me and my breeder friend swear by it..the colors dont bleed and no harm to Axies..they just spit it out as they eat! LOVE IT...in Canada its readily available at Canadian Tire....hope that helps!!!

Hellcat73

Reaction score
I prefer the purple,it shows off the dark and Leucistics nicely....its very fine..its for kids sand boxes....its totally safe...as mine pick food right off the sand..never had a issue!

Hellcat73

Reaction score
hellcat73-albums-falcor-female-picture40440-jan-2017-new-75-gal-tank.jpg
Heres the nice purple with my girl

auntiejude

Reaction score
Crayola play sand is not safe for axies. It is basically sand with an acrylic coating, which is fine in water, but when axies ingest it they acrylic coating comes off and can affect the axie.

Karayna

Reaction score
Crayola play sand is not safe for axies. It is basically sand with an acrylic coating, which is fine in water, but when axies ingest it they acrylic coating comes off and can affect the axie.

But wouldn't the same happen with human toddlers?

auntiejude

Reaction score
But wouldn't the same happen with human toddlers?

Yes it does. But a 30lb toddler can handle a small amount of acrylic paint, an axie weighs a few ounces so just a few grains of sand could be a toxic dose.

Karayna

Reaction score
Yes it does. But a 30lb toddler can handle a small amount of acrylic paint, an axie weighs a few ounces so just a few grains of sand could be a toxic dose.

Yeah... I just thought of some toddlers who eat a lot of sand. But you're absolutely right!

Hellcat73

Reaction score
Funny my breeder been using it for years with absolutly no ill affects! And theres no coating coming off the sand...and no colour bleed...never had a issue..well imho i'll keep using it...becides nothing is safe for anyone or anything nowadays!lol

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's probably OK - I would consider using it myself.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yes, - it's water stable and safe for 'aquarium use', but the digestive system of an axie is not the same as an aquarium!
It's up to each owner to make their own decision on the risk though.

Hellcat73

Reaction score
Aunti: yes I agree...but theres risks with owning any animal...its up to the owner to decide ...nothing is 100% safe....I just know from watching my Axo's that they spit out sand..and if they injest..so far its not harming them...it is considered NON Toxic..and the bag has a stamp on the back stating with a number that it is NON Toxic,mind you im shre no animal testing was considered...but in the wild im sure they eat a heck of allot grosser and toxic **** living in the water...anyhoo...I just wanted to post a option for cheaper more afordable substrate.

emdalliance

Reaction score
Wild axolotls are a completely different kettle of fish to the axolotls we own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1