Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Crickets

No she won't have a bar of earthworms. I use to get some from an aquarium store which she ate they were very white in colour. They stopped stocking them and not a single store I can find in Perth sell these worms they said the supplier doesn't do them anymore so that wasn't an option.

Next thing I did was buy a worm farm and she wouldn't have a bar of them. These worms were redder in colour though. But all the worms in worms farms here are like that and she just spits them back out again.

I have even tried bait shops. I don't know where else to source them from. Crickets are quite expensive I pay around $8 for a container which lasts two weeks.

I would like to feed her earthworms but can't find the white coloured ones that she use to eat when I first got her.

Oh I meant how often are pinkies OK not crickets.
(Pinkies=dead baby mice) These ones are frozen.

wow dead baby mice, i've never heard anyone say thats what they feed their axies so i have no idea.

Pinkies are okay as an occasional food source as they are typically high in vitamin A and can cause a form of calcium metabolism disruption. Because of this they should only be used as an occasional food source.

Ed

many pet stores carry live ones. You can buy frozen ones at most herp shows or via the internet.

Ed

Interesting. I might give them a go at some point. They are expensive $18 for 10. I dunno how I would cope with that I like mice!. Although they just looked like pink jelly beans when she showed them to me.

Might try her on one every six weeks or something next time I have to go back there for more food. Then I will be faced with dead baby mice everytime I go to the freezer.

How much do you feed them when feeding these "pinkies"? The whole thing?

Jordan - pinkies are usually small enough that you can feed the whole thing.

Natasha,

did you try cutting the earthworm into smaller pieces?

I had trouble at first with my axies eating earthworms, and still, if they are too big, they will spit them out. I have been cutting them into smaller pieces and my axies have been eating them quite easily.

I also have to feed them to my axies with chopsticks, otherwise they just let them lie on the bottom.

I'm guessing you probably tried this already, but just in case, hope it helps!

Yeah I did. I cut them up. I always hand feed her never leave food in the tank for her to find.

She takes a couple of chews and spits them no matter what the size. I have even tried holding them in the water for ages so they don't wriggle as much and still nothing. I know sometimes with the crikets she doesn't like them kicking too much so I let them get a bit weak first. Far out that sounded awful!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2