Question: Crickets

Amcgilbery

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys! So my newt has stopped eating crickets all together lately, I'm confused as to why, I've been feeding him blood worms since btw, but are there any foods I should give him to help balance his diet? (He is a Californian newt)

Earthworms/night crawlers should always be the staple diet. They are much better nutritionally and often get a great feeding response.
Here is a article on the nutritional values of some common amphibian foods. By the way, you have one of the best species of newt in my opinion :)
Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values
-Seth

Earthworms/night crawlers should always be the staple diet. They are much better nutritionally and often get a great feeding response.
Here is a article on the nutritional values of some common amphibian foods. By the way, you have one of the best species of newt in my opinion :)
Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values
-Seth

Thank you so much! Definitely appreciate all the help, want to give my newt nothing but the best! Also my newt is only about 4 inches long maybe 5, would this mean I need to cut the worms to feed?

It depends on the size of worm, but most likely yes. I use a regular knife, however some people use a razor blade or scissors.

It depends on the size of worm, but most likely yes. I use a regular knife, however some people use a razor blade or scissors.

Update he has loved the worms more than anything I've ever given him before thank you so much for the suggestion!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back