Question: Cycling an axolotl tank?

Fadoodles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I am new to this forum and the axolotl community and I just had a few questions I would really appreciate if someone could answer for me!

So I plan on getting an axolotl in less than a month and I've read that you need to cycle a tank before you can put an axolotl in it. Now I understand that you cycle a tank to help build up the good bacteria and such. Would it be wise to get a bacteria supplement to help speed up the process? I know it's best to cycle for at least a month but I can only meet with the breeder on a certain day which will be less than a month. What do you think is the best way to cycle a tank? Is it okay if you don't have any sand or ornaments in the tank once you start to cycle? I plan on getting a tank first so I can go ahead and cycle and worry about the other things once it comes closer to getting my axolotl.

Thank You! I hope I didn't annoy you guys with too much questions. I really want to know what the best things for an axolotl are so that it can live a long and happy life!

Hi Fadoodles, welcome to the forum and good for you for being so set on doing the best for your new friend :) Cycling is crucial for any new tank, and uncycled tanks commonly end up with sick, stressed (or in the worst case) dead axies.

Typically tanks take 3 - 4 weeks to cycle but there are always exceptions to this rule. In order to cycle your tank properly, you will definitely need:

1. an API liquid test kit
2. some bottled ammonia (I used 'Dr Tim's')
3. an aquarium heater (set the temp to 25 celscius/77 farenheight - when the cycle has finished you can take the heater out so it gets to the correct temp before adding your axie) - warmer tanks cycle much, much quicker than colder ones.
4. and if you like you can also use bacterial supplements - I use Seachem Stability when cycling my tanks. You will always get differing opinions on the value of adding these but I have always had good experiences with Stability
5. water conditioner to get rid of chlorine etc - I use Seachem Prime.

Adding sand, plants, decor etc at the start of your cycle is probably the best idea. It will give the good bacteria something to colonize, as well as colonizing your filter at the same time. If you can get your hands on some decor from an established tank (from a reliable source) this will also help your cycle to kick along.

A really good explaination of cycling, including a step-by-step guide can be found here:

Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank: Read This First! | Tropical Fish Forums

I have used this method on all three of my big tanks with great success.

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much! This was very helpful! I will do everything on this list so that I can have a properly cycled tank for my axie. :)

No worries :) Just follow the step by step guide and you will be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back