Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycling help?

ChocoUniversa

Reaction score
Hi, I’m gonna try and get an axolotl soonish, and I was looking around on ways to cycle the tank beforehand cause as of this moment I’m getting the tank (20gal) and it states I need to prep the tank beforehand.

I read on here the process that involved cleaning ammonia, and in other places, some suggest using Prime and Stability over the course of 7 days? I wanna be sure which way is eligible/safe before getting the little thing -,v,-)

DragoTheAxie

Reaction score
The process of cycling a tank takes from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. During this time good bacteria will learn how to convert ammonia(which is deadly) to nitrates which is much safer. I recommend doing a fishless cycle and buying some pure ammonia to help with cycling as opposed to fish food, I got my ammonia on amazon. You also want to get a water testing kit, preferably not strips as they are often inaccurate. Here is a website on how to cycle a tank that you could use:
If you end up getting your axolotl before the cycle is complete. Tub your axolotl in dechlorinated water and do a 100% water change daily until the cycle is complete.

ChocoUniversa

Reaction score
I see, I got some prime and a turbo start bacteria thing from my exotic pet store, and some test strips -3-)/)(\ is this suitable or what do I do with this? I’m also getting some stability soonish as well

Last edited:

minorhero

Reaction score
I see, I got some prime and a turbo start bacteria thing from my exotic pet store, and some test strips -3-)/)(\ is this suitable or what do I do with this? I’m also getting some stability soonish as well

The turbo start is a bottled bacteria product, meaning there are nitrifying bacteria in the bottle that you add to the tank. They can help jumpstart the cycle (if the bacteria is still alive, sometimes they are stored incorrectly and all die), but to be clear they are not to be trusted by themselves. You still need to test the water and make sure the cycle is complete (which it won't be unless you add a source of ammonia and see that get changed to nitrites and then nitrates). The test strips are really for quick checks and are not nearly precise enough for this purpose. You want a proper liquid test kit. There are many, probably the most popular is the API Master Test Kit.

Seachem Prime is just a dechlorinater used to make tap water safe for aquarium use. It does not help your cycle complete. The Nitrogen Cycle explanation previously linked is good reading and you should definitely check it out if you haven't already. You can also search 'cycling a freshwater aquarium' on youtube for MANY videos explaining the process if you learn better through that method. Bottom line is that unless you have a freshwater aquarium already cycled sitting next to you (I am assuming you don't) then its going to take a few weeks at a minimum (and easily longer) before you have a cycled tank that won't immediately kill animals added to it.

ChocoUniversa

Reaction score
The turbo start is a bottled bacteria product, meaning there are nitrifying bacteria in the bottle that you add to the tank. They can help jumpstart the cycle (if the bacteria is still alive, sometimes they are stored incorrectly and all die), but to be clear they are not to be trusted by themselves. You still need to test the water and make sure the cycle is complete (which it won't be unless you add a source of ammonia and see that get changed to nitrites and then nitrates). The test strips are really for quick checks and are not nearly precise enough for this purpose. You want a proper liquid test kit. There are many, probably the most popular is the API Master Test Kit.

Seachem Prime is just a dechlorinater used to make tap water safe for aquarium use. It does not help your cycle complete. The Nitrogen Cycle explanation previously linked is good reading and you should definitely check it out if you haven't already. You can also search 'cycling a freshwater aquarium' on youtube for MANY videos explaining the process if you learn better through that method. Bottom line is that unless you have a freshwater aquarium already cycled sitting next to you (I am assuming you don't) then its going to take a few weeks at a minimum (and easily longer) before you have a cycled tank that won't immediately kill animals added to it.

Ah I see, well I’ve been looking around and even asked about it, my dads concerned about the pure ammonia bit and I cant find it on amazon all I get are water conditioners and plant cleaners? At the pet store again I asked and they said fish food and the bacteria work, but again not sure.

Edit: I watched a video and looked at some of the comments—and was brought to amazon to look for Dr Tim’s Ammonium Chloride, which the reviews say is good to start the cycle as an ammonia source

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1