Cycling new tank algae/mould

DRRMJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been cycling a new empty 30 gallon tank for 2 weeks now, adding 5ml ammonia every few days when the test shows <1 ppm. Ammonia levels seem ok, going from 4ppm to <1 in a day or so, Nitrite levels also are staying fairly low (<1ppm). Nitrate levels I’m more confused about as the tests seem to be returning a green/yellow colour (the colour of the testing chemicals) and only after a very long time does colour develop that matches the colour chart. I might try a different test, maybe I’m doing it wrong.

I’ll add that I haven’t used any additional aquarium starter, Just the filter biological medium.

However I’ve noticed a sort of film on top of the water, a white spotty fur on the driftwood in the tank, green growths on the terracotta in the tank, darkish spots on the sand substrate and what looks like mould on the tank sides. There’s also a faint smell from the tank which is hard to describe, The plants in the tank (moss, duckweed, fern) also seem to be doing very well except duckweed on the top which I think is moving about too much with the filter to grow. The lights have been on high 24/7 to help the plants establish.

My guess is that the nitrate readings are low/confusing because the high levels are producing algae growth which is eating it all up and if I just leave the tank alone, do a water change of maybe 50% and don’t add any more ammonia for a while it will subside? But I’m not sure what to do at this point, I don’t want to get the axolotl and put them in a bad environment, so any advice would be great. Thank you.

Last edited:
The white fluffy stuff is biofilm, completely harmless, I am getting cherry shrimp soon to help eat that away. The film on top of the water is probably I think what’s a called a protein coat or something? Can’t remember the word right now😂. And the green stuff is mostly likely algae, as you suggested. Can you attach a picture of everything you said?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back