Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycling question

S

sharn

hi all ive just bought a 120cm x 38cm x 40cm tank for my three (soon to be four) axolotls, i have two in the 60cm x 30cm x 30cm now with sand as the substrate, if i take all this sand and put it into the new tank and top it up with some new stuff plus use the old water and filter will i be able to put the axies in it after a day or so (to let water clear) or should i fill the new tank up with all new stuff and chuck a piece of their food in it to help it cycle while the others wait? i have no other filter apart from the one thats in with them now, should i put it in the new tank to help it or leave it in the one its in? i can do water changes/'turkey baster things up' in the axies tank daily if need be, thanks guys, hope this wasnt too long and boring!!
crazy.gif

L

leah

You should be ok using all the old stuff and filter from the old tank, just don't clean any of it!

S

sharn

yup i didnt clean any thing at all, im witing for the murkyness to go away now then ill put the troops in the tank before bed, because the tanks they in now are way to small to be held there over night

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1