Cycling tank help and general questions

mewsha

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I began fishless cycling the tank last week. I have been adding fish flakes into the water each day as a source of ammonia. I tested the water today for ammonia and the result was 0.25ppm. I'm going to buy the master test kit tomorrow so that i can check the nitrite and nitrate levels and I'm also going to buy some live plants.

Questions:

1) Should i be doing water changes whilst cycling the tank? (haven't been doing this)
2) Since the reading is 0.25ppm, does this mean that the cycling is going well?
3) How long does it usually take to completely cycle a tank?
4) What are some methods of lowering ammonia levels?
5) Will live plants survive in sand?
6) Will my future axolotl dig/rip up the plant? If so, is there any way to prevent that from happening?
7) I am using sand which housed a gold gourami about 4 months ago, since then i have cleaned the sand multiple times, would this be alright to use with my axolotl?
8) Is sand a suitable substrate for young axolotls (less than a year old)?

I will post the level of nitrite and nitrate tomorrow.

I also welcome other suggestions and tips so that I ensure my tank is completely ready by the time I bring home a lotl.

Last edited:
I'll try to answer your questions;

1. If you're doing a fish-less cycle, you don't need to do any water changes.
2. Unfortunately unable to tell since you don't know how much ammonia is getting in the tank, and can't test for nitrites and nitrates yet.
3. It's not a set science and varies, but it could take up to a couple of months or so. Keeping the temperature of the tank warmer will help it cycle quicker.
4. Water changes, but if your tank is cycled you won't have to worry about it. The water changes would be more for keeping Nitrates under 40ppm, they're the end product. Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrates.
5. Most definitely, they just need the correct light and food (axolotl waste).
6. Yes and no. My axolotl hasn't destroyed the plants, some leaves occasionally. He does dig them out of the sand while moving about, still trying to figure out how to anchor them in better.
7. If the gourami was healthy, the sand should be clean. To be safe I believe you can boil the sand, or put it in boiling water. I would look it up to make sure what the procedure is like.
8. Sand is suitable for any axolotl that is about 12-13 cm or longer. Smaller axolotls would be better off in a bare bottom tank.

The only suggestions I can think of is to get a thermometer and keep track of the temperature of the tank. Unless you're keeping the tank warmer for cycling, you could play around with how to keep your tank cool for your axolotl. Screen tops and fans work well, and air stones agitating the water surface do too.

Thank you so much! Can i just ask why axolotls under 12cm should be kept in bare bottom tanks?

I believe sand can cause impaction on axolotls smaller than 12cm.

thank you Xtophr, will start reading those now

ah ok i've heard that smaller ones should be in bare bottom tanks but i never knew why, thanks for clearing that up!

Java Moss is great for Axolotls as they usually rip up planted plants. For months I was going crazy replanting pretty much everyday until I finally replaced them with fake plants and Java Moss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back