Cynops cyanurus breeding

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Here's an old picture of the adults that I moved over to this thread from an earlier thread:

44222.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on November 04, 2005)

Here are some photos of eggs on Egeria densa and a hatched larva.

46894.jpg

46895.jpg

46896.jpg

Nice pics Tim! How big are your adults in the last pic? Do the females develop any blue sheen too?

Thanks Garrison.

The adults are around 10 cm. No seasonal sheen on the tails of the females, just the males, so far as I've noticed. What you see there in the above photo are two males in the background and two females in the foreground
wink.gif

I was surprised to find around 15 eggs in the tank this afternoon, incidentally just a day after I lowered the room temperature by several degrees. Most of them were newly deposited, but here's one that's about to hatch:

47585.jpg

Has anybody noticed their C. cyanurus lay eggs mostly overnight/in the dark? I'm not saying this is so, but I don't recall actually seeing them laying eggs before (...?), and this morning, when I switched on the light of a pitch dark room, I found this female (same as in above photo) laying eggs:

47640.jpg

47641.jpg

Yeah William, she sure is heavy with eggs
biggrin.gif

(Message edited by tj on November 13, 2005)

Thanks James. I'm forced to use my Canon Kiss digital these days though as my Canon 20D is out of commission
uhoh.gif

47649.jpg

The larvae are currently surviving on "tank crud" taken from an established tank until tomorrow when I should have my first batch of brine shrimp hatched. There are obviously tiny organisms in the crud to eat as I often have larvae that morph despite never having left the adults' tank.

Hello Tim!
Lovely photos there! I especially love the detail of the larvae! What do you mean exactly by tank crud? Silt? Looking good there! That is most certainly one gravid female!

Hi Terry,

Speaking of gravidity, check out the girth of this one
lol.gif
:

47662.jpg

By "tank crud" I mean the detritus that collects on the bottom of a well-established tank, containing organic materials and likely some tiny organisms that feed on those materials.

47665.jpg

Unlike Nate and others, I haven't had much egg-laying success with this species before. I guess it was mainly because the temperature of the room they are in never dipped below 20C. I've since allowed it to do so after switching to use of a heat lamp for my wife's chameleon.

Tim, are we going to call this one Matron, or Mother Superior
smile.gif

Thanks for clarifying "tank crud"for me. I noticed my juveniles actively nosing around amidst the bottom detirius until they come across a stray midge larva or tubifex between the gravel. I noticed that they could also pic out the cyclops amidst the aquatic plants. Strangely only two of my juveniles have adapted to active foraging in the water. The others just seem content in remaining on land...and they are somewhat smaller than the two active foragers, which are admittedly larger than the rest.

Your thoughts?

Juvenile C. cyanurus? Post-morph? I believe Jen and some others could better comment more on this as I haven't raised any Cynops morphs in a semiaquatic environment before.

But if you're talking about larvae in general, I've had marbled larvae that remained in the parents' tank become significantly larger than the larvae I'd removed and raised separately, for example.

Anyway, with these C. cyanurus, I'm removing eggs as I spot them as it seems the adults are hunting and feeding on them, as this photo seems to show:

47671.jpg

Terry,
All of my C. cyanurus juveniles went back in to the water quickly upon morphing(2-5 days), some never even left the water. I always allowed the option of land at that stage as I did have one die from what I think may be drowning.

As usual, wonderful pics Tim! I look forward to mine looking like that!

Thanks Garrison.

That's very interesting to hear and I'll keep that in mind for when they morph, if I'm lucky to get that far with them.

I finally managed to get a decent picture of an egg. The trick was not to use a flash at all.

47692.jpg

Hello Tim,
You know, The larvae of Cynops look somewhat similar to Triturus in the early stages. Don't you agree?. Some of my larvae resemble the larvae you posted.

Hello Garri,
It seems my juveniles are more or less behaving like yours then. Only one or two juveniles remain on land and the rest visit the water frequently. The difference in size is comparable as those in the water were more succesful in foraging for food while the one's on land sought out pin head size crickets and/or bloodworms on a land-dish. In my case, the ones in the water look fatter and grow faster than the land based ones. Odd no?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back