Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

Jiang

Reaction score
These are Cynops cyanurus cyanurus that collected in Guizhou Province on May 2008. All males with a bluish tail and marbled with black spots. The type locality is De-wu, Shui-cheng, Guizhou Province, China, altitude 1790 meters.

Attachments

• 100_0363.JPG
    100_0363.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 1,384
  • 100_0365.JPG
    100_0365.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 937
  • 100_0369.JPG
    100_0369.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 1,206
  • 100_0368.JPG
    100_0368.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 2,664

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Hello Jiang,

Beautiful photos of some pretty newts! Do you have for us any habitat photos if these were collected by yourself? What is the climate like in your area?

Thanks!
~Joseph

Jiang

Reaction score
回复: Re: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

Hello Jiang,

Beautiful photos of some pretty newts! Do you have for us any habitat photos if these were collected by yourself? What is the climate like in your area?

Thanks!
~Joseph
Hello Joseph,
These newts were collected by my friend and have no habitat photos, but I were collected Cynops cyanurus yunnanensis last year and I have some habitat photos. I will show them, Please wait for a moment.
Jiang

Jiang

Reaction score
回复: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

The habitat of Cynops cyanurus yunnanensis.
Mt.Ban, Yunnan province, in China.

Attachments

• Cynops cyanurus yunnanensis 3..jpg
    Cynops cyanurus yunnanensis 3..jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 1,645

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: 回复: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

Thank you for sharing, Jiang. How common are these newts in their habitat? Are they difficult to find?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: 回复: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

What are the normal summer/winter temperatures there? I have some C. cyanurus (locality unknown), and the larvae seem to prefer relatively warm temperatures compared to most newts - this is why I am asking.

Thank you for posting!

Jiang

Reaction score
回复: Re: 回复: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

Thank you for sharing, Jiang. How common are these newts in their habitat? Are they difficult to find?

Hi John, in some places, these newts are not too difficult to find. I found 12 Cynops cyanurus yunnanensis an hour in Mt.Ban, Yunnan province, in China.;)

Last edited:

Jiang

Reaction score
回复: Re: 回复: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

What are the normal summer/winter temperatures there? I have some C. cyanurus (locality unknown), and the larvae seem to prefer relatively warm temperatures compared to most newts - this is why I am asking.

Thank you for posting!

Hi. In July, the temperatures about 30℃ at daytime and about 20℃ at night in their habitat.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

Thank you, this is very helpful! Indeed, the temperatures are fairly warm.

AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Jiang, I have been to Lijiang in Yunnan Province. I stayed with my Naxi friend and her family. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth. What part are you from?

Jiang

Reaction score
回复: Re: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

Jiang, I have been to Lijiang in Yunnan Province. I stayed with my Naxi friend and her family. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth. What part are you from?
Hi.Lijiang is very beautiful, It's one of my favorite place. I'm in Chengdu, Sichuan Province. But I will go to Yunnan Province to Kunming Institute of Zoology at middle of July, and I will collect Cynops cyanurus in Yunnan. When will you go to Yunnan?

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: 回复: Re: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

Its nice to see habitat pictures - I can imagine pond dipping there myself!
Ke Jiang; are the habitat temperatures mentioned are air temps or water temperatures? I assume that they are air temps as they are so high; what temperature is the water the newts are found in?

Chris

Jiang

Reaction score
回复: Re: 回复: Re: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

Its nice to see habitat pictures - I can imagine pond dipping there myself!
Ke Jiang; are the habitat temperatures mentioned are air temps or water temperatures? I assume that they are air temps as they are so high; what temperature is the water the newts are found in?
Hi Chris, the temperature is the air. Sorry, I don't know the water, but I will measured this year.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

Thanks very much. The information you have already shown us is very useful as well.

Chris

AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Re: 回复: Re: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

Hi.Lijiang is very beautiful, It's one of my favorite place. I'm in Chengdu, Sichuan Province. But I will go to Yunnan Province to Kunming Institute of Zoology at middle of July, and I will collect Cynops cyanurus in Yunnan. When will you go to Yunnan?

Jiang
I am returning to China the last week of August. Unfortunately I won't have time to go to Chengdu again this trip. I will be in Hong Kong, Zhongshan, Guangzhou, Ningbo, Hangzhou and Shanghai. Chengdu is my favorite big city; the food is awesome and the people are nice. It is easy to get around by bike as well. Have they finished any of the subway?

Attachments

• China 083006 031 Mao_LowRe.jpg
    China 083006 031 Mao_LowRe.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 605
  • China 083006 099_lowrez.jpg
    China 083006 099_lowrez.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 600

Jiang

Reaction score
回复: Re: 回复: Re: Cynops cyanurus cyanurus

Jiang
I am returning to China the last week of August. Unfortunately I won't have time to go to Chengdu again this trip. I will be in Hong Kong, Zhongshan, Guangzhou, Ningbo, Hangzhou and Shanghai. Chengdu is my favorite big city; the food is awesome and the people are nice. It is easy to get around by bike as well. Have they finished any of the subway?
Welcome to Chengdu. It is said the subway will open up at 2010.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!