Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops ensicauda popei

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't blame you mate, get 'em while you still can, I say. My South Okinawa popei are still on land and seem happier there for now, these two are the ones you sent me so are a little older and bigger. They aren't as razzle dazzle as the Southern ones, but they're still pretty in an understated kind of way, the more you look, the more you see, a bit like pyrrhos I guess. I just hope they're a pair! :)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I cleaned out the South Okinawa ensicaudas today so thought I'd get some new pictures. Despite still being on land they're doing very well at the moment and are real chunky little things. Compared to terrestrial pyrrho babies these are almost fearless and always on the lookout for food, I know I already mentioned it earlier in the thread, but they can scamper about more like lizards than little newts!

Attachments

• SAM_0912.jpg
    SAM_0912.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 622
  • SAM_0925.jpg
    SAM_0925.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 506
  • SAM_0924.jpg
    SAM_0924.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 512
  • SAM_0923.jpg
    SAM_0923.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 511

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that's been my plan, I even have a tank set up and ready for them, but they seem to be doing so well on land that I haven't tried them in the water yet. I've also been giving them a colour suppliment dusted on their worms, that will be much harder if they were aquatic.

Niels D

Reaction score
Ah yes, that's hard to do in the water. The reason I'm not giving caroteen powder to my Cynops and Paramesotriton species anymore is because of the fact that the Daphnia out of my pond seems to contain enough to give them a red colour.

You can add caroteens to live tubifex by putting some on it while they're in a shalow glass of water and letting them stay in there for a couple of hours or longer in the fridge.

If they're doing so great on land I wouldn't put them in water either. I'm allergic to terrestrial setups, because I suck at using them. Only the Paramesotriton animals get a terrestrial fase here. That's because they really can't do without it alas.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't enjoy having terrestrial set ups either, but my baby pyrrhos seem to do best with a time on land just after morphing. I don't have any terrestrial pyrrhos at the moment though, so there's some spare tubs knocking about.
I will try supplementing some Tubifex, I'm going to look into culturing blackworms soon, so maybe it will work with those as well.

Jort

Reaction score
I'm raising them aquatic, but some of them seem to keep on clinging on the glass and look hydrophobic. One day later they appear wet and fully aquatic though. Though they're a bit bigger now, I still feed a lot of Daphnia, so their bellies keep on getting more red instead of yellow.

Niels D

Reaction score
Yours have morphed then. Most here still are larvae. They simply refuse to morph. I could only make a couple of people happy with juveniles on Gersfeld. Today I've taken them inside, because it's getting a bit too cold. I'll expect most of them to morph within weeks now they're getting warmer temperatures.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying the biggest three of my south Okinawa in an shallow aquatic set up now. They are still climbing the glass from time to time, but they've been submerged as well. I haven't seen them eat underwater yet,but it's early days yet.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to update this thread for a while, but they're still quite shy and hard to photograph. They are all fully aquatic and doing very well on worms and growing very quickly.
They are starting to look very much like the plastic model one I got from Japan, I'm not sure what they make of it staring into their tank though!

Attachments

• SAM_1897.jpg
    SAM_1897.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 495
  • SAM_1894.jpg
    SAM_1894.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 485
  • SAM_1884.jpg
    SAM_1884.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 449
  • SAM_1898.jpg
    SAM_1898.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 469
  • SAM_1880.jpg
    SAM_1880.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 449
  • SAM_1859.jpg
    SAM_1859.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 453

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of recent pics. I'm starting to get an idea of the sex ratio now as there is an obvious difference in tail length, I think both sexes are equally stunning with this species mind you! :)

Attachments

• SAM_2227.jpg
    SAM_2227.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 411
  • SAM_1646.jpg
    SAM_1646.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 402

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They're way off fully grown, but I've been seeing the first courting behaviour in the South Okinawa group, I think it could be the lower temps we're having. I've seen the females squeezing leaves with their back legs like they're egg laying but no actual eggs yet. terrible pic, but it's the best I can get at the moment. :)

Attachments

• 20171006_213925_resized.jpg
    20171006_213925_resized.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 406

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plenty more courting behaviour but still no eggs! A couple of the females certainly look gravid so I'm still hopeful. I only have one south Okinawa male, I can't help thinking if he had some competition things would be moving a bit quicker... Patients has never been one of my strong points, though! ;) :)

Attachments

• SAM_2538.jpg
    SAM_2538.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 389
  • SAM_2543.jpg
    SAM_2543.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 391

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They've outgrown their old tank so I've moved them into a new 65 gallon. The plants still need to get hold so it seems a little empty, but the newts seem to like it and have settled in nicely. I have three more juvenile South Okinawa popei on their way after Xmas (cheers Aaron!) but there should be plenty of room for everyone in there. :)

Attachments

• SAM_2630.jpg
    SAM_2630.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 427
  • SAM_2634.jpg
    SAM_2634.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 427
  • SAM_2638.jpg
    SAM_2638.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 424
  • SAM_2639.jpg
    SAM_2639.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 394
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!