Cynops ensicauda status

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
I've been trying (for no particular reason) to determine the legal status of Cynops ensicauda...

As far as I could determine, our beloved C.e is listed on the revised [Red List of Threatened Amphibians of Japan] as "near threatened"

This is the fourth of the four categories. The first one is "critically endangered" (Hynobius abei), the second "endangered" (Hynobius takedai, Hynobius hidamontanus) and the third "vulnerable" (Hynobius dunni, Hynobius okiensis, Tylototriton andersoni).

C.ensicauda shares the "near threatened" category with Hynobius stejnegeri, Salamandrella keyserlingii and Andrias japonicus. Still looking for exactly when it was added to this category, but I recall reading that it was in 2000.

C.e is not listed in the 2002 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. The Japanese "near threatened" category corresponds to the IUCN's "lower risk" designation, which includes 'near threatened" along with "conservation dependent" and "least concern." To be on the IUCN's list, a species must be at least considered "vulnerable."

Anyway, keep up those captive breeding efforts!
happy.gif

By legal status, I meant protected/protection status.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back