Cynops morfs setup (+questions)

J

joeri

This is my setup for my cynops orientalis morfs. At this moment there are 5 in it.
The tank size is 80*30*40 cm, waterdepth 10cm.
23650.jpg

As you can see the light is above the setup so it doesn't heat the tank up to much. The airpump in it is made escape proof. I made a small hole, so the tube only just fits. The frame itself fits perfectly as well (custom made with ducktape-aluminium and gaze)
23651.jpg

At the moment I have a stock of daphnia and there are quite a few in the water already as well. I red here that to encourage the newts fast back into the water you better not feed them on land and give them only a small landarea:

now; things I'm afraid I have done wrong:
* landarea is still to big?
* water is to deep?
* I give springtails once a week (in the hope my newts don't starve)?
* other things?

I hope to get some response as I'm expecting +/-25 more c.o. morfs.
So thanks in advance, Joeri

Oh yes, one part came out wrong.
I also have live tubifex and frozen bloodworms. But those 2 spoil the water to much if they don't get eaten fast. So I'm waiting to use them in this tank till I spot a newt in the water.

Hi Joeri,

My tank for newly metamorphosed c.o. looks very similar to yours. I use 10-20cm of water with no problems. Less water just means more vigilance on the water quality. I don’t use an air hose or even filter.

I started with whiteworms on land, blackworms in the water. After two weeks, they took to tiny pieces of chopped nightcrawlers. To prevent the water from fouling, I feed them as much as they can eat in front of me, then suction the rest of the food out with a turkey baster. This allows me to do a mini-water change. The whiteworms, I just leave on the land area…very easy.

Hi Joeri

With my cynops when I go them as larvae I had them in a little tank only 35cm x 20cm x 20 cm, when they morphed I moved them into a 60cm x 30cm x 40cm tank, which was set up similar to yours but I also had bunches of elodea in too as extra places for them aside from the land area.

I gradually reduced the land area they had access to over a few weeks by adding an extra cup of water every day to the tank.

I fed bloodworms in the water and encouraged them in to feed, there was also daphnia in the tank most of the time. I used a turkey baster everyday to remove any waste, giving them a mini water change everyday. They showed no adverse effects. All are happily aquatic now. I now feed them bloodworm, small earthworms and occasionally large daphnia.

Jeff

Thank you very much for your responses.
I had to check google to see what a turkey baster is, only to find out I use it myself
happy.gif

Hope I can find these white worms somewhere, so far I had no luck. I understand they are fairly easy to breed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back