Cynops orientalis eggs??

MikeCloud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Some of you may remember me and my newt tank, I joined a month or so back.

So ive had the newts for a few months, all seems very well. All three newts eat well and Ive had no problems with the tank or the newts so far.

Today when I got home from university, I had a look around the tank as per usual and I noticed what I think are newt eggs. There is nothing else in the tank just three C.orientalis.

So I thought I'd better get on here quick and get a positive ID from the caudate experts.
Sorry for the poor pics but I didn't want to remove the eggs incase of damage etc... There are three eggs in close proximity to each other that I have spotted so far there may be more.

So are these newt eggs??
001_026.jpg

003_027.jpg

Many thanks

Mike

Yes, definetily cynops eggs, congratulations :)

Thanks Azhael,

Im very happy with that! Nice to know my newts are so comfortable in their tank:D

No, the photo is very nice, these are eggs for sure.
Are you planning to raise them? It might be better to take them out and give them special care, if you are to raise them.

Hi Ian,

I would love to raise the larvae to adults. However with 5 aquariums, the newt tank and a Bsc at university I find my time is somewhat occupied... I was thinking of just leaving them in the tank and seeing what happened.

That said I do have a few empty 2.5 gallon tanks that I could use, what is the best plan of action for incubating the eggs? I could add some moss and floating plants and add a sponge filter to one of the 2.5 gal tanks....?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Ian,

I would love to raise the larvae to adults. However with 5 aquariums, the newt tank and a Bsc at university I find my time is somewhat occupied... I was thinking of just leaving them in the tank and seeing what happened.

That said I do have a few empty 2.5 gallon tanks that I could use, what is the best plan of action for incubating the eggs? I could add some moss and floating plants and add a sponge filter to one of the 2.5 gal tanks....?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have just given a similar advice on raising FBN eggs, you can read it from here. http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59701.
It is a lot of work, unless you are willing to go with live food, which might be easier. I found that if you are raising a lot of eggs, 50+, you will have more obligation to raise the eggs, than compare to only raising 10 eggs at a time. Maybe 50+ of babies make it more worth while. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back