Cynops orientalis temp

M

mark

Hello,

I was curious what all the C.o. owners keep their tempature at in the tank??? During "overwintering"? Thanks

Hi Mark!

In winter temperatures of 10 to 15 °C; in summer 20 to 24; sometimes up to 26 °C.
I keep them aquatic with this conditions since a lot of years. Breeding each year.

Paul

I kept mine between 5 and 10º c for six weeks in order to breed them.

They'll withstand any temperature above freezing, but a period at 10-15C keeps them feeding, in good health and ready to breed.

Just a question, is it normal for a newt like Cynops orientalis to be aquatic when the water is below say 10C?
These newts do not live in extreme altitudes as far as I know. If faced with those kind of water temperatures isn't it more reasonable to assume they go terrestrial?

Oops, two questions...

No they stay completely aquatic, and will even eat at temps as low as 4ºc.

A large rock covered in moss with a terrestrial shelter (a small flower pot), a partially submerged piece of aquarium wood, and a bare rock island.

My point is that I believe that they more than an island type setup to go terrestrial, a sizeable area in which they can be dry. Bare stone or wood etc would not make a suitable terrestrial area, most substrates will accumulate water and get saturated. You need something that is totally separated from the water.
I'd be rather surprised if a C.o. would stay aquatic at 5C when given a proper, dry hibernation land area is present.

Hi! Recently I added a Rubbermaid flower pot to my 10 g tank for my c.orientals. It is filled from the bottom up with charcoal, aquarium grade gravel, then topped with polished glass stones. (I only added the glass stones on top of the gravel as they are to large to ingest, will not cut, or adhere to skin, or be uncomfortable.) In this pot are live plants - arrowhead, and (fig?) ivy. There are holes in the bottom of this planter so water stays in the pot to water level. It took 2 days for the larger female to feel comfortable with this new addition. She climbed on, hunkers down under the arrow plant, and seems to be enjoying herself. She stayed there thru the night, and only just dove into the water this morning. The plants will probably live "so long" hydroponically, but they are cheap, small ones, so replacing every few months will not be a problem. I also go to the "Goodwill" stores and look for attractive, safe, containers that are inexpensive, creative, and safe. You can add the same as above, or even soil, etc. (which I am applying in another tank). Anyway, just a suggestion.

Oh! As far as temps go, my C. Orientals seem to thrive at 64 degrees, although 68 d is not uncommon in the tanks in my home.

Yes, the "problem" with those kind if islands are that you cannot make them big enough as they take up place both vertically and horizontally. Also, I'd prefer some kind of substrate other than stones. All this if the purpose is to provide an area where the newt can go terrestrial. Personally I would go for a floating device rather than something that stands on the bottom taking up water space if I was aiming for an island and not a semiterrestrial setup.

If anyone is still interested, I bought one for those little reptile houses for my newts, and after I first put in in there the spent almost all their time in there. Now its only being used by one newt, the one who always seems stressed out and has become totally land dwelling. But whatever he prefers, im not about to take away his "home" given the fact that all the crickets go in there at some point.

I just recently made a land area out of a bird food dish, I will post some pics soon, it is so easy to make, and is a really good idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back