Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops wolterstorffi

TJ

Reaction score
Anybody know how to access detailed English translations of the information on the China Species Information System (Service)?

The site is at: http://www.chinabiodiversity.com/index.shtm

There is an English version at:

http://www.chinabiodiversity.com/indexe.shtm

...but it seems to contain no detailed info on caudates.

The Chinese version, however, has at least some descriptions, such as this for the seemingly extinct wolterstorffi:

http://www.chinabiodiversity.com/search/detail.shtm?cspcode=040090006

I don't read Chinese that well, so the following is the choppy but partly readable translation that AltaVista Babel Fish comes up with regarding C.wolterstorffi. I know we have at least a couple of Chinese speakers here. Maybe they could help clarify some key passages
wink.gif

"Plants the characteristic: [ Recognition characteristic ] Yunnan pond...and blue tail...Cynops cyanurus and Chenggong...C. chenggongensis is similar. Common characteristic: The general female is bigger than the male gender; Circle columnar torso, laterally flat developed tail; The four limbs are fragile, after the foreleg four figure of extremities five feet, point to the foot not to have the web without the fingernail; The skin soft does not have the scale; Back and the body side by the black primarily, has the earth decadent back...is red by the orange yellow or the orange primarily, decorates in...the throat and the torso area by the irregular black thick strip shape grain; The reproduction season male tail assumes the dark blue. Distinction characteristic: Blue tail...body smaller (¡â below span 115 mm), the skin is rougher and has the back...to stick out; Chenggong...body also smaller (¡â below span 107 mm), skin also rougher, does not have the back... to stick out, after the parietal bone center has "to after V" flat top, the head breadth long near and so on, the torso and the tail near and so on is also long; Yunnan pond...body bigger (¡â above span 140 mm), skin smooth, does not have the back...to stick out, does not have "V" flat top, ...to the width, the tail is longer than the torso, below span 100 mm inferior adult many small...holes, individual life-long existence. Not difficultly separates according to the above characteristic three approximate species. [ Distribution ] Yunnan pond...only sees nearby the Yunnan Province Kunming Yunnan pond. [ Biology ] Yunnan pond divides into two, the sea boundary ridge between fields to the north called the grass the sea, is upstream Yunnan pond, the big view Hexi Ba River and so on pours into; South of the sea boundary ridge between fields called the open sea is Yunnan pond's main body, its downriver Water Classic praying mantis Sichuan flows out. Yunnan pond...in 50's common Yu Caohai coast and its with grass sea connected ditch pond bog shallow water region. If big view from Lou Zhihai the boundary ridge between fields and high depends on the official to Xi Yuan as well as open sea Chenggong County to cross the area coast ...pond waters, the winter survives the winter in the deep water place. These waters have the obvious change from the 50's to 80's its habitat. Presently take the Yunnan pond...host habitat grass sea as the example. The 50's grasses...are 25 square kilometers, the 80's reduce are 12 square kilometers; The transparency falls by 2m to 10 ~ 25cm; ...above 7 milligrams/litres falls to 1 milligram/litre below; The aquatic vegetation cover area reaches 100% to fall to 5% about, distributed water depth 4m draws back 1.5m, aquatic...vegetation 100 kinds, extant 49 kinds. Yunnan pond...plays the wheel algae group falls, the sea cauliflower group falls, the micro tooth small hole vegetable group falls, the Malaya small hole vegetable group falls and so on no longer to save, some populations vanish in Yunnan pond, like in famous sea cauliflower and turn of algae majority of kinds. Large-scale non- vertebrate indigenous kind of big vanishes, like sponge and coelenterate extinction. The zooplankton has 42 kinds not to see the trace. The fish indigenous kind of 23 kinds, presently are left over 7 kinds, presently outside comes the fingerling is the main body. Grass sea coast Yunnan frog gradually for Cuban...substitution. [ Estimated amount ] the 50's is luxuriant in the above Yunnan pond...habitat population. Specially they thousands of plays in reproduction season 4 ~ in May between the aquatic vegetation. Since 1979 after has investigated many times has not picked the specimen. Visits below 30 years old the fishermen all to say has never seen. The old generation of fisherman also forgot it. Once visited about 50 years old fishing to say that, 70's nearby big view building water...see above hook, but 50's this is a routine matter. Heard in 1984 some people fished. Above explained Yunnan pond...possibly vanishes. [ Sends danger factor and present situation ] the immediate cause is suitable the inherent environmental condition which the Yunnan pond...growth reproduces no longer to exist. Destroys this kind of environmental condition the chief criminal regardless of the immediate cause or the indirect factor all with the humanity relates in together. (1) In 1956 Kunming (...crossed two areas including west) the population approximately about 200000, presently increases to more than 1 million people. Around Yunnan pond the population unceasingly increases, the industry and mining enterprise stands in great numbers, the industrial waste and the sanitary sewage have not added processing to discharge to Yunnan pond, causes...and the transparency reduces, the water quality goes bad, includes the lead, the cadmium, the arsenic, the copper, the cyanogen, the phenol and so on 30 many kinds of virulent dead matter and the massive organic matters archery target preserves and so on, causes gradually to decline to the toxic sensitive high aquatic vascular plant until vanishes. These...water 60% is after inflow grass sea and so on big view Hexi dam a bridge river. If recently time flowed in sewage lethal grass sea fish culture in net pen large quantities of deaths, thus caused the conflict. At present the grass sea has been listed as the heavy pollution area; (2) In 1970 "reclaimed land by surrounding and filling in lake bottom after", the grass...reduced more than one half. These the bog region which levels is one of Yunnan pond...main habitats at the same time is also buried; (3) 1,957 ~ in 1975 put in the massive grass carps to Yunnan pond to cause the indigenous aquatic vascular plant every year to move towards by the decline vanishes, causes Yunnan pond...to lose hides evades and the spawning place; (4) The Yunnan pond coast domestic aquatic bird's industry rapid development, specially...the happy food... this without doubt also is fatal as soon as strikes to the Yunnan pond...surviving population. [ Should further adopt protective measures ] the next Yunnan pond coast like discovered the Yunnan pond ...still remaining habitat, should delimit the suitable waters is a protectorate. The protectorate planted agent adopts prevented the water pollution and the prohibition raise puts the aquatic bird and so on to handle puts,...possibly is one of its natural enemies also should control; Next, may carry on the artificial cultivation to guard against becomes extinct. Author: The invader governs passes 1998. China is in imminent danger the animal red skin"

R

ralf

Thanks also from me Tim. I just love Babelfish and I suspect that most operating instructions for electronic devices (and especially VCRs and the like) were translated this way.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, talked to a person recently who has been herping in that area decades ago. He stated that it was hard to figure out where to search for C.w. even then, because Yunnan lake covers a large area and most of the shoreline and surrounding areas are occupied by fish-and duck-farms.

Ralf

TJ

Reaction score
I've been to the lake myself (at which time I wasn't even aware of the existence -- or non-existence! -- of wolterstroffi), and from what I saw, it's not surprising it's disappeared
sick.gif

By the way, in the Sichuan Journal of Zoology (Vol. 17) there is an analysis (...in Chinese
smile6.gif
) on the factors that caused C.w's apparent extinction.

http://www.hceis.com/product/index/amphipia/sichuan%20journal%20of%20zoology-1998.htm

Since the IUCN is involved in this publication, I would think surely there are English translations out there somewhere! Some other interesting articles in the very same issue:

* The status of Ranodon sibiricus Kessler populations in China and conservation strategy
* Chinese giant salamander in Huangshan City, Anhui now and then
* Studies on reproductive ecology of Tylototriton kweichowensis

K

kwok

Hi! Tim.

You have been to the lake? How is it like? Any pictures? I am always interested to see animals natural habitat.

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Kwok. I just drove along one side of the lake on my way north from Thailand via Laos to Kunming about three-and-a-half years ago and as I recall it was not very pretty and the shoreline was denuded and built up, with some gaudy tourist facilities posing an eyesore as they do at so many "scenic" spots in China. So it's not surprising the newts at the lake have become extinct, it that's indeed the case. I might have some pictures of it somewhere. I'd have to look. But since the lake was not all that picturesque anymore, in my opinion at least, I might just have opted to take no pics whatsoever.

K

kwok

Hi! Tim.
I feel sad as they are extinct! From their drawing I saw on living under world, they are the coolest member in the genus.
Thanks for your information!

TJ

Reaction score
Well, the info that's out there says they're extinct, but are they? I wouldn't know, but seeing as you're from Hong Kong, maybe you could dig up something interesting in Chinese that suggests otherwise¡ª Have you been to Yunnan? There are some nice wilderness tracts left in the south, in Xishuangbanna Dai Autonomous Prefecture for instance, and who knows what you might discover there if you look hard enough ;)

K

kwok

Well, Tim.

I already ask my friends to go there to check it out, but they couldn't find anything. I wouldn't want to believe they are really extinct, but may be they are.

TJ

Reaction score
C

carlos

·¿ë`¯u¬O¤@­Ó¬üÄRªºª«ºØ, §A¦P·N¶Ü??? ¥i±¤¨e¥i¯à¤w¸g¦¨¬°¹L¥h©Î¤F......

K

kwok

Yes, I am totally agree with you, Carlos. Are you from HK too? May be we can come out and have a chat! PM me please!

C

carlos

Hi Kwok, §A¤]¬O­»´ä¤H??? §Ú¬Û«H§Ú­Ì¤w¸g¨£¹L­±¤F!! ^_^

TJ

Reaction score
Here's the original illustration of this species from the Atlas of Amphibians of China:

22571.jpg

(sorry, it's a bit choppy as it's a photograph, not a scan)

(Message edited by TJ on September 08, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
And for a laugh, here's a pic of some paddletails that were inexplicably being sold on the Web here in Japan as "Yunnan Lake Newt" (one of the names for C.wolterstroffi), and with the scientific name Hypselotriton wolpersporhhi
lol.gif

23384.jpg

A

angus

Wow! That's something!
Tim, can you order me some of them, so I can restock them to China?!

TJ

Reaction score
Well, I guess I missed a golden opportunity to save this species from extincton because they are listed as being all sold out
lol.gif

There's a strange reference to Cynops wolterstorffý in the paper Biodiversity and biodiversity conservation in Yunnan, China in which it is written:

"Of these species, Cynops wolterstorffý (amphibia), Sinocy- locheilus grahami grahami
and Cyprinus yilongensis (fish) and Ottelia acumi- nata (water plant) are endemic
to alpine lakes."

Alpine lakes???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1