Damaged arm

H

heather

I have 3 axies That have Damaged arms. They get salt bathes regurlarly. 2 are in the refridgerater, It is set to the warmest teperature. The leucistic's arm is healing and he is now walking on it, But the wild type is not healing. He just holds it up in the water and he has scratched off the skin.The teperature is 57F.}
Other than the salt bates what should do???

If there is no sign of fungus, then I would'nt salt bath.

I would just keep him separate and quiet and covered with something to provide shade or shelter. I think all he needs is time to recover.

BTW, how they did they get damaged arms - biting or something else?

I'd turn the fridge back down too. Axolotls will be fine down to 4C, this is like, 38F-ish. 60F is not that much cooler than their tank, and defeats the purpose of the fridge, not to mention spoiling all your food.

You could try some mercurochrome.

from I.U.: Add a few drops of mercurochrome (enough to tint the water a pale orange) to the water as a disinfectant, and change the water frequently.

I have several juvenile axolotls with legs that have been 'removed' by their siblings...About how long does it take for them to re-grow an appendage? Do they always re-grow?}

Justin - Juveniles usually grow back their limbs. I recently purchased 3 juveniles with various missing feet and legs and they were all grown back in 3 - 4 weeks.

I have had juveniles in the past that had their legs removed several times by siblings. These did not regenerate as well. Some of them did not grow back any legs.

Cynthia - that's the exact scenario I've got...A leuistic keeps biting off it's sibling's legs. I haven't removed it from the tank yet due to lack of space but the victims appear to be recovering. It's outta there as soon as I reconfigure some of my tanks. I had a cannibalistic. morph (beautiful golden) that went for the 'whole-spread', but I removed it at an earlier stage to prevent further losses.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back