Dechlorinating water question

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering how long I should be leaving the fresh water with the dechlorinator in it before I add it back to the tank.
I found that my ammonia was at .25 ppm and I read the dechlorinator converts the chlorine into ammonia somewhere. I have been doing water changes every day or every other day and am taking out roughly 1/3 of the water each time.

Dechlorinator does NOT convert chlorine to ammonia. Not sure where you read that but it's completely false. Doesn't even make any sense X'D

Aquarium dechlorinator works pretty much instantly - you don't have to leave it sit for any extended period of time.

Ammonia is created when the animal breathes/poops. Your tank should be cycled to keep it at 0 ppm.

Dechlorinator does NOT convert chlorine to ammonia. Not sure where you read that but it's completely false. Doesn't even make any sense X'D
No but the dechlorination of chloramine, with a product having sodium thiosulfate, will result in ammonia being released. This may be the reason the test kit is registering an ammonia reading after using the dechlorinator.

reference: Guidance Manual for Disposal of Chlorinated Water

No but the dechlorination of chloramine, with a product having sodium thiosulfate, will result in ammonia being released. This may be the reason the test kit is registering an ammonia reading after using the dechlorinator.

reference: Guidance Manual for Disposal of Chlorinated Water

That must have been what I had read.
They dont seem bothered at all and all of the other readings are at perfect levels.

Elise is correct. The dechlorinator will break down chloramines (found in many water supplies) into chlorine and ammonia.

Elise is correct. The dechlorinator will break down chloramines (found in many water supplies) into chlorine and ammonia.

Into toxic ammonia? I didn't think that was the case, but I stand corrected... o.0; You learn something new every day.

The amount of ammonia produced in the dechlorination process is tiny - not really enough to affect your tank in any way, and the tiny amount of ammonia produced is quickly converted by the cycling bacteria. EPA limits (in the USA) are 4mg/L of chloramine, many water companies use less, some don't use them at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back