Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Decreased Water Current Idea

jclee

Reaction score
A few days ago, I read about a way to decrease water current for male bettas (which tend to die if kept in tanks with strong currents). Someone came up with something that is brilliant in its simplicity. (I wish I had saved the link.) S/he took a plastic soda bottle, cut of both ends and cut it down the middle, so that it was a curled piece of plastic. S/he then taped one end to the lid of his/her HOB filter, and curled the other under the output, so that it broke up the filter's current.

I currently have a HOB for my 2 Axolotls, and I've been keeping it at the lowest setting. (I have a couple of small plants that aren't waving around at all, so I think I'm safe.) I would like to up the filter's power so that it cleaned a little more efficiently, and before I go ahead and use this DIY technique, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone can think of a reason not to try this. (I cleaned the bottle thoroughly and rounded the corners so that there is no sharp plastic that the Axolotls could cut themselves on, so I can't think of any danger, but I figured you'd be the people to ask.)

Also, barring any unpredicted dangers, I thought there might be other Axolotl owners out there who would want to try something like this.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds promising. I can't think of any unforeseen dangers. Post photos if you do it.

jclee

Reaction score
filtermod.jpg
filtermodb.jpg
The above show this basic mod before being placed over filter. I'm not sure how well you can see it in these pictures, but it's just basically a little curly-que that curls under the top. Then you stretch it as you put the lid in place, so that the curly-que wraps under the water's output.

filtermodc.jpg

filtermode.jpg

filterpremod.jpg

And these show the "after." So far, it's working out alright. All it does is force the output to flow horizontally in both directions, rather than vertically downwards. I do want to try to turn the filter up to help me manage the copious amounts of feces that these little monsters create. I think I'll slowly keep cranking until I see the plants sway, and then I'll take it back down a notch. Sound good?

The one reminder I'll give to others who want to try this is to make sure you trim/round off any sharp edges to the bottle. Softdrink bottles can get surprisingly sharp. I also made the mistake of using a soda bottle that was not a perfect cyllinder, but I don't drink soda often, and it was the only thing handy. It seems to be working anyway, but a uniformly shaped bottle might be a little easier. Also, I have my filter along the shorter side of the tank, (along the width, rather than the back wall), and I think the output water is being further buffered by the sides of the tank that it's hitting, so I'm not sure how different the effect would be with a rear-located filter.

If you try it, let me know if you do anything differently, and/or if you get differing results. ;)

jclee

Reaction score
oops. that last pic is just the filter without the lid. I should really label my pictures more thoroughly.

si

Reaction score
That looks awsome! I've been making do with my rock formation & plants slowing the current, but your idea looks like a good thing to try when im feeling creative!! However, my newts do not seem to mind the filter when its on and even swim right next to it & sit on it at times! I would like somthing permenant like your idea though, so they are more comforatble.

Thanks for putting the pics up!!!! :happy::happy::happy:

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1