Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Deformed Axolotl Twin

HakuAxie

Reaction score
Hi all. I’m new to the forum but I have question.

My girlfriend moved in and she had a male axolotl. We decided to get him a tank mate and went to the same rehaber who gave us our male. She believed it was a young male and we also did.

A couple months later we find out she’s actually female and are stuck with a couple hundred eggs. We gave the rehaber the majority of them but we kept a handful.

One of the ones we kept was a set of twins (the only one in the batch I believe). They formed directly next to one another and their tails ended up forming in a connected pattern. This gave them both a hooked and crooked tail. I also can’t tell if they have faces. The second twin that hatched died a few day’s after hatching (even though it was eating fine).

Anyways. This one has been alive for close to a week if not longer. However, he’s starting to bloat (I think) like the other one was when it hatched. It doesn’t move much since it essentially only swims in circles but it’s eating a little here and there (though never enough to have an orange belly).

My question is: do you think it’ll have a chance? The bloat/stomach has been getting bigger every day and I knew the chances were slim to begin with.

I’ve attached pictures. I feel bad for it but want to give it a chance.

Attachments

• F780261D-78EE-4A83-A6DD-CDB4A13F0E8E.jpg
    F780261D-78EE-4A83-A6DD-CDB4A13F0E8E.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 388
  • 4637453D-5E59-4591-BEB4-E74BDD9C2029.jpg
    4637453D-5E59-4591-BEB4-E74BDD9C2029.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 256

Murk

Reaction score
Honestly, if you hadn't said s/he was still moving, based on the pictures I would've guessed it passed away a few days ago and was decomposing.

That isn't to say it's hopeless, but chances seem slim. If this one does survive it's destined to do great things.

HakuAxie

Reaction score
Unfortunately it passed a few days ago. I checked on it first think in the morning and the bloat was nearly completely gone. Not sure what happened but it passed sometime over night :( likely in a better place though

Murk

Reaction score
Aw, that's too bad :(
It was the most likely outcome, but still.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!