Deformed Larvae?

Elsewhere

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys, still raising my first (and last) batch of eggs and 28 have lived and are thriving! This guy seems to have a deformed tail, though. It looks as if it's not crooked but twisted? I don't really know how to describe it. It's totally fine otherwise, eats like a pig and will make sure no one else gets his food and swims just fine unless startled, then it seems to have difficulty. I figure that people will say culling is the best option and I've been thinking of it myself, but is there anyone on here who has had a similar case where the baby turned out fine as an adult? High hopes, I know. I've already nicknamed it Hephaestus as a (poor) joke thanks to my future university studies...

Here are the best pics of it I could get:

The one on the left in this one
hephaestus2_zpslf5pded3.jpg

Upper left corned of this one
hephaestus_zps8vf2spqt.jpg

I can put the container on a lighter surface to get better pics if you think that would help.

I generally recomend culling but it doesnt seem too bad, so i suggest its raised as a pet rather than a breeder, if it gets worse or impacts its welfare euthanise it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back