Deleted this because of poacher risks!

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks to Jake for informing me about the risk of poachers when asking for good herping locations!

Last edited:
I’ve been wanting to go herping for a while, any ideas of where to go? I’m looking to herp for snakes and newts!
I’ve fallen down the trap of a post like this... once. I was confised by the dead thread so I did some reading on the threads related to this topic. And this is what I found... (in summary)

please don’t share location of you herping treks,even giving The county and state is enough to narrow down to exact location at sometimes. This is a worry because poachers could be given a location to collect rare specimens and wipe tho population. It’s is not to be ignorant to your request but in protection of the location.

I know your not a poacher, along with most people on this site. But these are public forums. DMs areOK just not recommended unless you are sure about the person.

I’ve fallen down the trap of a post like this... once. I was confised by the dead thread so I did some reading on the threads related to this topic. And this is what I found... (in summary)

please don’t share location of you herping treks,even giving The county and state is enough to narrow down to exact location at sometimes. This is a worry because poachers could be given a location to collect rare specimens and wipe tho population. It’s is not to be ignorant to your request but in protection of the location.

I know your not a poacher, along with most people on this site. But these are public forums. DMs areOK just not recommended unless you are sure about the person.
Ahhh, okay thank you! Sorry I didn’t know, I have a few ideas of where to herp. I didn’t think about that!

Oof i didn't know that poaching was an issue with amphibians

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back