Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Desmognathus ochrophaeus defensive behaviour and jumping capability

M

mark

Very interesting, Kamil. I've not seen my Desmogs perform that defensive behaviour. They always adopt the "move at the speed of lightening" defensive strategy. They can jump quite well. I have seen them launch themselves 5-6 inches in the air from standing.

K

kamil

Hi Mark,

I was shocked when I saw that. It happened while putting him into the tank. First I thought that he (the salamander) is injured but he is still alive and is really quick now. What i missed to film is how wide he opened his mouth.

Best Greetings,

Kamil

C

cameron

Nice videos!

I have Plethodon glutinosus aswell and they eat the same way; I have four of them and i feed them termites and soft shelled mealworms and beetle larvae. Wasn't that a termite you fed the one in the video?

Anyways nice videos, i hope to see some more.

-Cameron

K

kamil

The glutinosus video was taken by René Zahl. He gave his animals Drosophila and has an IR-Camera so he was able to film that.
On Plethodontids I have only those Desmognathus, Eurycea bislineata, Plethodon cinereus and Gyrinophilus - but the Desmognathus are the only ones I have taken videos so far. I hope also that I will be able to provide you with more videos in future!

Best Greetings,

Kamil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!