Question: Desperate need of assistance!

Sarahaney6

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really need some assistance with cycling my tank. My axolotls are currently in a 20 gallon and getting 50 percent water changes daily until my 40B finishes cycling. I don't mind putting in the extra work until the tank is cycled but boy and I getting tired of lugging buckets around....

Anyway I have had my 40B set up since 10/30. I filled it and dosed with prime. I waited 2 days before adding ammonia so technically my cycle should have started 11/2. I have a classic Eheim 2211 with prefilter attached and a spray bar, a DIY spongefilter, an air stone, and a heater cranked up to 82 degrees.

In this time period I have not even the slightest nitrite reading and my ammonia is still sitting at 4 ppm.

I started looking into possible reasons why this is happening and low and behold it turns out my water is VERY SOFT! I'm talking like less than 30. I can't seem to find any info on fixing this issue. I need to figure out how to raise the hardness in my tank as well as KEEPING it raised.

What do I do?!

Hello,

I use a product from Seachem called Equilibrium to raise the hardness. I use it at every water change.

Also, can you go to your LFS and ask if they can give you (or buy) some used (very dirty) filter media? Or if you know someone with an established tank. You can add that to your filter and help jump start your cycle. The more they can give you the better.

If you don't have to many axolotls I would just cycle the tank with the axolotls in it. The large volume of water should be enough to handle their waste. For soft water I would add aquarium salt, marine salt, rock salt, or hoftretters solution.

If you don't have to many axolotls I would just cycle the tank with the axolotls in it. The large volume of water should be enough to handle their waste. For soft water I would add aquarium salt, marine salt, rock salt, or hoftretters solution.

I have two sub adult axies. Should I empty the tank before putting them in to remove the ammonia? Also will I need to continue daily water changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd do a 20 to 50% water change, lower the water temp, add about a tablespoon of noniodized salt per 10 gallons and dump the axolotls in. Two subadult axolotls in a 40 gallon should be fine with partial water changes once every week or two. It will cycle quickly.

I'd do a 20 to 50% water change, lower the water temp, add about a tablespoon of noniodized salt per 10 gallons and dump the axolotls in. Two subadult axolotls in a 40 gallon should be fine with partial water changes once every week or two. It will cycle quickly.

I followed your advice and did a big water change, salted the tank, waited 24 hours and tested the PH. It didn't rise at all so I put the axies in the new tank today. They seem to be doing okay but Marvin's skin is quite red. Is that just from the salt or do you think I should move him back to the old tank?

I'd just keep an eye on it. The salt should not irritate them at all.

ba7c06361cf87f18393dec328472e2f3.jpg

06ee3e504d3653aef459747bf55fd6b9.jpg

Here's a pic so you can see what I'm talking about

This is just my opinion but there is no way I would ever cycle a tank with any living animal in it. Axies are quite hardy little guys and they may seem ok but there is a good chance they will endure long term effects. In terms of raising your pH try adding something like texas holey rock as decor. i use this in my African cichlid tank (they love hard water) and the rock helps keep the pH at 8.2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back