Desperatly need advice from the start, please read my post thanks

O

orhan

Hello everyone,
iam really really stuck, confused, and now unfortunatly disheartened. i've had my heart set on an axie, from the first time i saw one in the pet shop. the problem is i don't no too much about fish or aquariums. i have recently purchased a tank that is 65 litres. it has a filter. i didn't realise that the gravel had to be a dark colour. i've gone with a dark pink. i take it by what i have read this isn't acceptable. iam also having problems understanding the "cycle". i was told all i was too do was to buy a tap product. which was to get rid of the chlorine in the water. and medicine to speed up the rate to mature the water. i have now had my tank set up for a week and was considering buying my axie, on saturday, iam now doubting weather iam ready to care for one. i have also filled my 65 litre tank about 5cm's from the top. i take it this is far too much water in there. i have also read on here that you can't have many axie's sharing the same tank. i was thinking about eventually owning 4 axie's in the same tank. there was about 8 in the same tank in the pet shop. i haven't yet brought any decorations such as pipes, plantes, rocks ect. sorry for the essay but someone please, please help me as i want to be a good carer but to be onist iam confused at the moment. thanks for everyone's time and help. please get back to me as soon as possible thanks again.

am not a pro on axies myself but can tell you a few things,you can keep more than one axie but the tank would have to be large enouth so they can have their own space,ive never heard of gravel colour being important and have seen pictures on this forum of tanks with pink gravel,also i would say as long as ther is a few inch from top of the water to top of the tank you should be ok,cycling the tank is about getting the corect helpfull bacteria to grow in your tank,a method i have used many times in fish tanks is to put a gold fish in for a couple of weeks and the bacteria will grow,dont listen to pet shops to much a lot of them not all are just ther to sell products.like i say i am no pro but have done quite a lot of research on axies hope this helps

I am new at this, but I wathc my daughter and babysit her axolotls. She has sand at the bottom of her tank. She also stores tap water in 5 gallon plastic wter containers for a few weeks and adds just a drop of slime coat to each gallon. She puts about 8 to 10 inches of water for them to swim about in and has a large tank width for them. Keep reading this site, it has a lot of useful info. I am just beginning, I have 3 eggs of my own which should hatch any day now. It is a great hobby.

The color of the gravel is not important. The SIZE of the gravel is important. The problem is that axies sometimes eat some of their gravel, and then it can clog their digestive tract. I would recommend using NO gravel. Here is a recent discussion of substrates:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/72180.html?1161553979

This article explains cycling. Also, any really good pet shop with fish should be able to help you with cycling questions.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Filled to the top is NOT too much water for them. They need enough room at the top to take a breath, if they want to (usually they don't). And take care that they cannot jump out (a lid is a good idea).

I think that a 65-liter (15 gallon) tank could support two axolotls. Since they can grow quite large, it's simply not big enough for more than that.

hello everyone its me again orhan, the one who don't no much lol. went to the pet shop today, and they gave me some useful information and they said i was doing everything correctly. they also said that my gravel would be alright for the time being as the axie's iam hoping to buy are only about two inches long. they said when they grow i will have trouble with the gravel. i haven't done any cycling but have purchased a testing kit. i used it today, and it came out as a result of being okay for axie's. i couldn't beleive it so i took a sample too two different pet shops, and they said everything is good to go. iam very suprised at this as have't done any cycling that i no of lol. as i have said before all i have done is tap safety, and tablets to mature the water in 24 hours. does this all sound okay or does it sound crazy.all onist opinions again please. thanks for everyone's help. please get back to me again. i will get the hang of this eventually. cheers

It sounds right, but please re-read the article link I gave above about cycling. Your tank is not yet cycled. After you put the animals in it, they will start to produce waste products (ammonia), and this is a dangerous period. (In the article, this is called "cycling with animals".) It takes about a month for the good bacteria to become established, and then the tank is "cycled". During that first month, you need to test often and probably do LARGE water changes to keep the ammonia down.

you can have the tank filled to the top if u want it doesn't really matter. Oh and wat colour axie are u getting and wat will u call he/she

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back