Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dicamptodon aterrimus

zonbonzovi

Reaction score
So...I am about to come into possession of an long term captive adult, male, terrestrial D. aterrimus. After copious amounts of habitat research, reading through the boards, etc., etc. I think I have its captive needs covered. However, and in my experience w/ various creatures, there are always details that rear their heads later. Anyone out their keeping this species or other Dicamptodon species that have come across any pecularities that weren't apparent in their initial research?

Reaction score
Hello, i have two dicamptodon Aterrimus. One larvae and one terrestrial. I feed mine earthworms, and crickets. Make sure you have a huge water bowl in it's tank (assuming it's terrestrial). Mine sits in the waterbowl for at least six hours per day. Also make sure it can burrow. The deeper the soil the better. If it's terrestrial they will require pretty much exactly the same care as tiger salamanders. I would love to see some pictures when you get it too.

zonbonzovi

Reaction score
Hello, i have two dicamptodon Aterrimus. One larvae and one terrestrial. I feed mine earthworms, and crickets. Make sure you have a huge water bowl in it's tank (assuming it's terrestrial). Mine sits in the waterbowl for at least six hours per day. Also make sure it can burrow. The deeper the soil the better. If it's terrestrial they will require pretty much exactly the same care as tiger salamanders. I would love to see some pictures when you get it too.

Thank you! I had the impression that there weren't too many captives around. I keep a alot of burrowing inverts and from what I've read about habitat, they're very similar. The person I'm getting it from seems to have had it for quite awhile, so I'm hoping to get some history, as these were only recently separated taxonomically(?) The owner has an established tank w/ large water feature that comes w/ the salamander. I suppose the biggest question I might have is regarding temperature: I assume that because they spend the majority of their time burrowed, Dicampotodon's should be kept cooler, as in high 50s - low 60s? What is your experience?

Also: seller says this is a male. Do you know the sex of your sallies? I would certainly be interested in a future pairing if a match could be made. I will post pix when possible of the beast and its new home soon. Cheers...

Reactions: 454

Reaction score
Hey, my terrestrial tank stays at about 65 degrees, and I keep my aquatic aquarium at 60 degrees. My larvae (that I should be calling a neotonic adult) is a female, but i'm not sure about my terrestrial. If you ever go fishing and see fish eggs they absolutely love them.

zonbonzovi

Reaction score
Attached are a couple of pics 'o Bubba. Bubba came from an owner that has had him(haven't confirmed sex yet) for a bit less than 2 years. Due to hard times, they were forced to find a new home & Bubba couldn't come along. The previous owner had him for about 5 years, which makes me think he was collected while still waterbound. He's obviously been very well fed(pix to come) & should be watching his cholesterol, maybe playing some golf. All 11" of him screams senior citizen. And not to anthropomorphize, but: he does not hesitate to eat from my hand & appears to appreciate a gentle head stroke now & again.

I wonder about the costal grooves, though. On D. aterrimus they shouldn't be so pronounced- maybe it's cause he's big boned:D. I'll try to post a better pic of his foot as the "3rd" toe's joint composition is supposed to be a determining factor. Enjoy!

Attachments

• bubba1.jpg
    bubba1.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 2,271
  • bubba2.jpg
    bubba2.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 5,421

ferret_corner

Reaction score
I'm sorry - i have to agree with slowfoot - looks like tigrinum to me too. The head shape seems to be all wrong for the dicampt. Coloring and pattern too.

A really fat tiger. lol

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree: tiger sal (A. mavortium or tigrinum). This would certainly explain the costal grooves. Bubba is quite a beauty!

zonbonzovi

Reaction score
Thanks, everybody. Either way- Bubba's set to do some cardio & get off sweets.

Out 'o curiosity- what are some good determining taxonomic features of A. mavortium, A. tigrinum & D. atterimus that don't require a microscope? OR, can anyone point me in the right direction to a proper key, etc.? Any ideas on a locality, based solely on color/pattern?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a 100% a tiger. No Dicamptodon here I'm afraid. As to what race, I would say most likely Ambystoma mavortium diaboli.

zonbonzovi

Reaction score
Thanks, John. You & Ferret Corner had the same answer. The coloration/markings are spot on from available online pix. I thought it little strange that someone would be so quick to "rehome" any Dicamptodon. Cheers!

Newtility

Reaction score
I bet it´s an Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum from either WA or Idaho. Body groung color and markings are prominent for that subspecies though some diaboli may look similar at first glance. But Bubba surely doesn´t care for names! ;-) You are right to put him on a diet but please no cardio. They are not very active except during breeding season.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
That's definitely Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum. Dicamptodon have the eyes more on the side of the face and directed forward more. D.atterimus [and all Dicamptodon] have distinctive coloration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!