Dicamptodon ensatus photos

P

paris

ok here ill try again to post this (my computer backs me out of some screens sometimes!)

here are some pics of some under represented salamanders here (note # of posts). i should be studying for a test right now but i did promise to post these, i took the pics last week (before i bought my flash) and cleaned them up while on the plane ride home from IAD. they arent outstanding pics but they are good for now.

i have 2 dicamps ensatus-both land form adults i have had since 99'. i thought due to body type differences that i had a male and a female but i am unsure now...so let me know what you guys think.

here are 2 headshots of the leaner one i think is the male
14285.jpg

14286.jpg

and here are 2 shots up close of the one i think is the female
14287.jpg

14288.jpg

if you look close at the 'female' one you can see her left eye has a cateract-so i think she may be very old. also, her left arm is dwarfed and appears to have been regrown completly-the skin under and around it is a different colour and in the shape of a bite mark-here is a pic of 'her' from below
14289.jpg

and here is a shot of the pair of them-i was told that males were leaner bodied and smaller, but the one i think is a female is definately more 'jowly' . to note too is when i had placed them in the container to get pics taken, the smaller 'male' walked right over and nipped the bigger one on the tail right in front of me-it appeared to be a deliberate act, he let go right away but it appeared as if he wanted to let the other one know what was what!
14290.jpg

here is a pic of the one i call the female sitting in my lap (it was hard to get her to sit still for pics...and NO my thighs arent THAT big-i'm wearing pipes!)
14291.jpg

these are by no means small salamanders-i have read in some books that the tiger salamander is the largest terrestrial sal, but i believe these to be wrong and i agree with the other books that say dicamps are the largest-my big one is a foot long-here is a pic of her in my hand to give you an idea of her size. (i am 5'6")
14292.jpg

here is a view of their vents-i cannot see any difference-yet they seem to have different body types (jowles/leaness)
14293.jpg

and finally people ask me what i feed them. often it is crickets (although i dont hand feed those any more since the smaller one missed once and got me!-they have very sharp teeth!!!!)and i have offered them mice once. when i was in california i got some bannana slugs for them-they ate them all in 1 day. but normally i feed them like pictured below, they get cat food-either chicken or salmon. i dont feed them very often (about once a month-and you can see they have no low weight issues)
14294.jpg

(Message edited by paris on April 07, 2004)

Thanks for the pics, Paris! They will eventually get to Caudata Culture.

Great pics. I was just in the Santa Cruz Mts, but didn't have time to poke around for any.

RUSS

first time I see this animals, maybe a late reaction but can you put some more pictures on Caudata?
I would love to see some more.

Christian

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back