Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dicamptodon people

blackmetal

Reaction score
This forum seems almost empty so I thought I'd ask how many people here keep Dicamptodon, and do you keep terrestrial or neotenic?

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I don't currently have any, but I have kept terrestrial D.tenebrosus, neotenic D.copei, and terrestrial and neotenic D.aterrimus.

otolith

Reaction score
I've kept terrestrial and larval D. ensatus and D. tenebrosus in the past. Never had any neotenes, they are unusual in my area.

blackmetal

Reaction score
All you lucky west coast people ;) the dream species for me, especially the terrestrial version. Do the more southern populations have a higher percent of terrestrial animals or is your area just unsuitable for aquatic adults?

AquaticEngineer

Reaction score
I am planning on building a replica biotope of the stream near adjacent to my house that I've found neotenic D. tenebrosus in. Once that's all setup and running with a chiller I'll probably raise a few out and work from there.

Oregon will be implementing new rules in March that allow for the propagation of wild caught non threatened non game animals with a permit. I'll be applying for a couple of them for different species.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I collected a pair of Dicamptodon paedomorphs under fishing license in California in 2012. Sadly, I lost the male a few months ago but the female is going strong.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!