Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dicamptodon Tenebrosus pictures :D

sde

Reaction score
Is there any Dicamptodon enthusiasts anymore??? seems like there are none. Anyway I will share some photos. If you want more info just ask :happy:. Enjoy!!! :D -Seth

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 756
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 476
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 468
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 599
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 696
  • 183.jpg
    183.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 520
  • 213.jpg
    213.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 457
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 427

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So is that animal living aquatically without gills or is it in the process of morphing? I've only seen a few pictures of terrestrial adults that look a bit like tiger salamanders.

sde

Reaction score
Your welcome guys!
Chinadog,
The ones that are lighter brown with some mottling are terrestrial but the ones that are darker and solid brown are larvae. the pic of the one in the stream is a quit small larvae. Dicamptodon are similar to tiger salamanders but are limited to western coast regions of the united states. Dicamptodon are debatably the larges terrestrial species in the world, so it was quit a privilege to find the two terrestrial adult females, both of which were 11 inches long! Unfortunately it is illegal to keep Dicamptodon where I live.
Also some may become reproductively mature and still stay in the larvae stage, this is called neotony. In fact it is more common to find the neotones than the terrestrial adults. I was lucky enough to find these two terrestrial females guarding there eggs in the well that we get our water from! Thanks for the comments guys, I'm actually kind of surprised that so many people replied because it seems like nobody likes Dicamptodon anymore to be honest. :happy: -Seth

otolith

Reaction score
Great pictures and and excellent herping trip! I've never found more than a single adult at a time. I mostly find D. ensatus where I herp and am lucky enough to have pretty large populations right near my home (and sometimes in our woodpile). Neotenic adults are much less common here than in the PNW as many of the creeks dry up in summer. Thanks for posting!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 Dicamptodon tenebrosus. 1 Terrestrial adult I adopted from another Caudata.org member and 2 paedomorphic adults I collected as larvae in California in 2012. All are 10 inches/25 cm + in size. I find tigers tend to grow longer but the Dicamptodon are more ruggedly built with much bigger heads. And they have biting teeth - ouch!

sde

Reaction score
Yah all of these were caught with in a mile of my house, so with in biking distance. Yes like I said it is debatable which one is bigger, I personally think that Dicamptodon are bigger from what I have read. Also the two terrestrials are actually different individuals, I think they were sisters because they were almost identical. Both 11 inches. Both brown with a little mottling. -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!