Did someone say mating season?

J

joan

48250.jpg

48251.jpg

48252.jpg

This female is so shapely that the little male can hardly get his legs around her. Keep your eyes posted on the for-sale section :D

Great pictures! I just got a male this week and he looks to be about the right size to wrap up your female!
happy.gif
Hes just over 7 inches with a 4 inch tail and a 3 inch body

taricha3.jpg

Nice action shots, Joan!

Danny, is the tail on that guy for real?! The length is amazing.

Actually Tim that is for real on the tail length. I was amazed when I first received the newt and Ive never seen such a long tail on a newt before!

Joan! Glad to see the release of your male is going so well!!!! *little newts sparkle in eyes*

Dang, Danny. That boy's huge! This male is really small. I got him from a rather sketchy source, and he was pretty skinny when I got him. But he's since put on weight, but is still rather small. But when I came home to amplexus (with the smaller, immature female), I decided it was time to put him in with the females with eggs. He's been in quarantine since the beginning of October, and has been showing smooth skin since shortly afterward. So hopefully the females are receptive!

That's really marvelous, Joan. And, Danny, that's quite a tail on that newt!

Congratulations Joan!
love.gif

Danny, that tail is unreal. I've read that males with longer tails are able to "swim away faster from other intruding males during amplexus."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back