Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Difference in yellow and blue spotted migration dates?

Simland

Reaction score
Hi,

I've never gone herping during salamander migrating season, but I decided to try that this year to have more chance of finding burrowing salamanders (blue spotted and yellow spotted).

I was wondering if people with experience have noticed a difference in the start dates for different species. For instance, is it possible that yellow spotted salamanders generally start their migration a few days later than blue spotted salamanders.

I went out last night (which was probably the first night that was warm enough) to a place where I'd found a blue spotted salamander before, in the summer. There, I found a blue spotted salamander and two huge ones that were most likely blue spotted/Jefferson hybrids, but no sign of yellow spotteds (or any other species for that matter).

Given that the season isn't very long, I was wondering if that's a sign I should concentrate my efforts to find yellow spotted salamanders somewhere else. I know a place where there are some and where there's plenty of vernal pools for them to migrate to, but I'd rather not go there.

By the way, I was also wondering what's the lowest temperature these species will come out at. There's some rain in the forecast for this week, but the temperatures will also dive to highs of 51.8F and lows of 33.8F on those days.

Springlizard

Reaction score
I have heard blue spotted can tolerate a little bit more cold then yellow spotted. I have even found blue spotted in December and I live in northern Illinois

I have only found one yellow spotted where I live and it was about a month ago under a log during a heavy rain.

im not sure about where you live but around here blue spotted seem a lot more abundant . Really your best chance is just looking under a lot of logs in the woods especially by a pond or wetland.

50 degrees is definetley warm enough, 30 is a bit cold.

Simland

Reaction score
Yeah, apparently, while they're common here, they have a very spotty distribution. I managed to get some information on where I could find some for sure.

Before that, I'd only ever found one and it was so far from any pond or vernal pool (that I know of) that I couldn't help but wonder what it was doing there.

Simland

Reaction score
Thanks for the info about blue spotted salamanders being a bit more cold resilient.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1