Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Diorama try.

grius

Reaction score
I think I have found a new hobby to get better at. This is a rocky snow/ice try, and although I did not turn out as planed I just had to finish it. Next diorama will be better in it's whole so to speak. I

Materials I'v used.
Blue insulation foam, flex paste, fake snow, water effects for icicles, relaistic water for ice and earth pigment colors for the rock cliff.. No carving in cement or so like I'm used to, this time I cut all details in the foam directly and coated with two very thin layers woodland scenics flex paste/earth color pigment blend. After I did some coloring with only white and yellow paint as I ran out of all other colors. am very satesfied with the rock/color surface, looks great even in close up.

If you take a look at my chanel there are build steps how I did most of this.

This is the "finished" product.
Diorama. - YouTube

Maybe some of you are interested in dioramas for gaming, train or so. Would be nice if so to see some of your stuff.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have a sudden craving for a game of Warhammer Fantasy. Very nice, man, very nice...

grius

Reaction score
Thanks, I thought you might like this Azhael.

'Those games seems a little to advanced for my brain tho, but it is fun to just build landscapes of any kind to have something to do.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You do beautiful work my friend. The texture, irregularity and detail are very impressive. I was initially going to say that it was a pitty that the lines where pieces of foam had been stacked were visible simply because my eyes were drawn to it but then i realized that i have seen exactly that kind of "broken layering" in large granite formations. As i said, very beautiful work indeed. By the way, you can probably sell this stuff to Warhammer nuts for a pretty penny.
If you were around i´d ask you to teach me so that i could learn another craft to fill the house with xD

grius

Reaction score
Thanks man.

Yeah, in the end I kinda like them. I did some carving to get some shapes difference with the line and that I think gave it a long crack look as you say.
You would have been my first costumer ;) I need to practice whole landscapes first so I know what I am doing., and then after maybe I will search for a warhammer forum where people whant terrain costume made.

sde

Reaction score
Dude, that is amazing, nice job!

Wish I could do that. Congrats!

I still don't see how you guys can make those. :confused:

grius

Reaction score
Lots of foam sculpting, 1-2 thin coats with a material that wount crack if painted over the foam very thin, and last coloring everything with acrylic( diluted with water),or maybe with color pigment like I did. This methods are almost new to me and will make rock making much easier for my sal setups in the future, not only terrain/diorama purpose.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1