Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Direct from SR388, Metroid Tank Preview

Martin21114

Reaction score
Now all it needs is a floating metroid or two and a newt called samus aran!

One day I'd like to go by a games workshop store and do a Samus conversion with some of their plastic Eldar miniatures. Now if you'll excuse me, my nerd is showing....

Martin21114

Reaction score
Just realized I forgot to actually link the other pics. Here they are. Now my prior comment about the flash might actually make sense :)

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 695

millerj76

Reaction score
Well done on a nice little set up, no limits to the imagination. I guess this will get a few peoples imaginations going,, including my own.

Martin21114

Reaction score
Well done on a nice little set up, no limits to the imagination. I guess this will get a few peoples imaginations going,, including my own.

Thanks. The whole thing actually got started when I saw a mystery snail I had bought a couple weeks earlier stick out its siphon to take a breath. I had no idea what was going on and it completely blew my mind. It seemed so weird to me I felt like I was Ripley in the movie alien. The snail seemed that weird to me. Snails + aliens = snaliens, so I started thinking about a sci-fi tank and it kind of went from there.

I really needed about $100 more to make it they way I envisioned. A dremel would have been a big help. I had to make all my cuts with a crappy big old wood hand saw from work. Precision was lacking to say the least. I also wanted to get some more decorations, in particular make a samus miniature from eldar warhammer 40k miniatures, this awesome pile of bodies (see below) as some victims, and some shipping containers marked with "SR388" and the biohazard symbol, with one being broken open (allowing the dangerous organisms to escape, leading to the deaths of the scientific staff and infestation of alien snails, axolotls, guppies, and shrimp).

Attachments

• corpsecart.JPG
    corpsecart.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 398
  • eldar.jpg
    eldar.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 563

Wildebeestking

Reaction score
You just got me inspired to do an Alien inspired tank. Wonderful job on the aquarium, perfectly done.

Martin21114

Reaction score
Probably the last update for this tank, here it is completed:

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,750

Martin21114

Reaction score
Are the glowing balls silliconed in place? Wouldnt want one to be swallowed by a greedy axie.

yes, they are attached with clear silicone. Nugget broke one loose the other day, after reading this I think I'll go remove the loose one. Thanks.

Martin21114

Reaction score
I use sculpey clay. I bought it at a craft store called "michaels" (the very one the dc sniper shot someone at, fun trivia). You can see some of the figures I've made in the other tank threads "prepare for some doom" and "bowser's casle".

MEEX

Reaction score
I hope nobody minds me bumping an old thread, but I just wanted to say that I saw this back when I was lurking, and I love the Metroid tank.
I'd love something like that and I think it was the first tank that showed me that having no gravel could look good, something I'd worried about for some time.

I'm afraid I'm nowhere near as artistic and the best I've come up with is a couple of soil-pipe cutoffs, but the Axys seem to like them. They used to have loads of weird pipe fittings/joints from when I was a labourer that I'd swap out every now and again to make interesting tunnels, but my mum gave them to the builders that did out the bathroom, even though all our work was above ground and the bits ended up in a skip.

Anyway, congratulations on having such a great tank.
I see it mentioned elsewhere in the search results and I'm interested how it worked out, so when I've got a minute I'll browse some more, but I'll try not to bump too many old threads, I promise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!