Dirt quarintine

J

juston

Im trying out dirt quarintine for one of my newts because her hand is infected (Im using dirt for now because I have no unbleached paper towels do they have to be unbleached?). I know the basics to it but whenever she's cured and before I put her back in the aquarium should I do a complete water change and wash off everything that was in the aquarium I really dont want to get rid of all the good bacteria but I will if I have to and then cycle it again.
thanks
Juston

Even though you have a Cynops, this post belongs in the Newt and Salamander Help section and will moved there soon
wink.gif

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/7/7.html?1153058121

Juston, I ignorantly have used bleached paper towels without thinking about it and never had problems.

*Disclaimer*...this was just my experience.

Ok im sorry Tim, but what about the water change guys should I do a complete thorough water change because I really dont wanna get rid of all the bacteria is Idont have to.

I would say do a substantial water change, but don't clean out the inside of the tank. The beneficial bacteria live on the surfaces inside the tank.

Bleached paper towels are fine, but soil has some properties that paper towels don't. If he's already on soil, I'd say keep him there.

No problem, Juston. It's just that since the so-called FBN are the most popular of newts, this section of the site could easily fill up with "HELP!" postings, especially since it's all too common for newly acquired Cynops orientalis to have health problems.

Anyway, I hope your newt gets better! If you do use paper towel, I'd recommend changing it daily (I do it daily for sick newts, once every two days for others).

(Message edited by TJ on July 18, 2006)

Ooh. Jennifer, I didn't know that. What does soil have that paper towels don't? (Of course, I know soil has nutrients in it, etc.) But, what benefit does the soil provide to a newt standing on it rather than paper towels?

(I love learning things like this!)
happy.gif

Soil has the ability to break down waste rather efficiently. It can develop a healthy ecosystem, much the way a cycled tank does. Also, you can use soil to make a moisture gradient (wet at one end, drier at the other). On the other hand, paper towels can be kept clean, which makes for a more controlled environment... I'm not sure that this is necessarily healthier though. I wish I knew.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back