Dirty sealant

spud62

Reaction score
Country
England
My tank was bought second hand and the guy had resealed it, we have had no problems with it but just lately the sealant as started to blacken, do i reseal or will a good clean do it ?, thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 142
It looks like the dirt is under the sealant, or maybe between the layers if its already been re sealed in the past. I've had the same problem with a tank that had been used for keeping gerbils. To get it looking clean again I used a razor blade to carefully remove the all the internal sealant beads one at a time and re did them with fresh silicone. Its best to do them one at a time because the tank would lose most of its strength and could easily come apart if the old sealant is removed all at once.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back