Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dissolved salts for axolotl and plants?

E

Elise

Due to water conditions, I'm using RO/DI water and adding Seachem Equilibrium to achieve water hardness. This method has been working fine for about a month. I will need to buy another bottle soon and I think it would be cheaper and I would have more control if I mixed my own solution. Plus, a solution I mix myself could be more beneficial for my Axolotl than what I'm using now.

I'm looking at a Holtrefeter's Solution or a Steinberg's solution but somehow modified to support some Anubias plants in the aquarium. This is where I'm currently stuck and any insight as to how to proceed would really help. I can not, however, reconstitute my ro/di water with a mixture of tap water. It will have to be a mixture of mineral salts and ro/di water only.

The site here has a solution said to be comparable to Kent's RO Right and Seachem Equilibrium. There is also a calculator here which confirms similar proportions. These products are directed toward plant growth and I'm guessing it's some of these components that I will need to add to the Holtrefeter's Solution.
Code:
K2SO4......................Potassium Sulfate 
CaSO4......................Calcium Sulfate 
MgSO4......................Magnesium Sulfate 
FeSO4......................Iron Sulfate
MnSO4......................Manganese Sulfate

For reference below are the components of the solutions recommended for Axolotls.
Code:
Holtrefeter's Solution
NaCl......................Sodium Chloride
KCl.......................Potassium Chloride
CaCl2.....................Calcium Chloride
NaHCO3....................Sodium Bicarbonate

Steinberg's Solution
NaCl......................Sodium Chloride
KCl.......................Potassium Chloride
Ca(NO3)2.4H20.............Calcium Nitrate
Tris

My main question is what would you add to a Holtrefeter's solution to support plants?

I'm pretty new at this and other questions I have are as follows:
  • As Equilibrium doesnt include NaCL, is this something my Axolotl should be getting?
  • Would a chloride based solution have a negative impact on plant growth?
  • Is a sulfate based solution not ideal for Axolotls?
  • Would a solution with a mix of sulfates and chlorides be a safe/good idea? Should I stick with one or the other or does this not matter?

oceanblue

Reaction score
I know this post has been around a long time but it deserves an answer. The ion pumps which work to keep sodium and potassium in the body against the lower level in fresh water primarily pump chloride ions. Physiologically a recipe mainly based on chlorides is sensible and preferable. Sulphates are not an adequate substitute on their own.

Pop Alexandra

Reaction score
I know this post has been around a long time but it deserves an answer. The ion pumps which work to keep sodium and potassium in the body against the lower level in fresh water primarily pump chloride ions. Physiologically a recipe mainly based on chlorides is sensible and preferable. Sulphates are not an adequate substitute on their own.
Thanks for confirming. I avoid sulfates usually, so I agree that chlorides are the best alternative.

wolfen

Reaction score
citric acid and ascorbic acid can be added to holtfreters solution, both are low level acids which will only have a small effect on kh but will support the cell structures of plants and found to protect them against the effects of sodium chloride, as well as converting any calcium carbonate formed by the calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate into calcium citrate and calcium ascorbate which are readily absorbed by living organism.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!